88-94 vs. 95-98 Interior Debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on both.

On the 88-94 I like the simple radio and my 88 actually has cable control heater functions. No AC from the factory. It also has floor vents like the square bodies. The digital climate controls on the 94 are pretty cool, especially back in the day when the truck was new. I am also partial to the moon guages but mounted a tach after the manual tranny swap. Cup holder also became more of a hinderance after the swap. The red panels have started to fade on this truck. The grey ones on my 94 seem to be holding up better. I for one like the glove box.

For the 95-00 my 95 probably has the most comfortable seat out of all my trucks. Maybe I got a left over 94 seat. The back support on the 99 is not so great. I do like the earlier 95-96 dash that is more open without the passenger airbags found on the later trucks. Another plus for the later trucks is the dome light override. Nice to turn it off if your door is going to be open for awhile.

Some not so nice things are that they rarely if ever offered vinyl sun visors. Seat back folding release can be finicky on some trucks. Like others have said cup holders are not the best but they do function.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on both.

On the 88-94 I like the simple radio and my 88 actually has cable control heater functions. No AC from the factory. It also has floor vents like the square bodies. The digital climate controls on the 94 are pretty cool, especially back in the day when the truck was new. I am also partial to the moon guages but mounted a tach after the manual tranny swap. Cup holder also became more of a hinderance after the swap. The red panels have started to fade on this truck. The grey ones on my 94 seem to be holding up better. I for one like the glove box.

For the 95-00 my 95 probably has the most comfortable seat out of all my trucks. Maybe I got a left over 94 seat. The back support on the 99 is not so great. I do like the earlier 95-96 dash that is more open without the passenger airbags found on the later trucks. Another plus for the later trucks is the dome light override. Nice to turn it off if your door is going to be open for awhile.

Some not so nice things are that they rarely if ever offered vinyl sun visors. Seat back folding release can be finicky on some trucks. Like others have said cup holders are not the best but they do function.
Forgot about dome override. That is the #1 thing I want from the 95+ style.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both styles and My vote is 88-94 only complaints would be aftermarket radio location is just out of reach in the early style and the pressed board door panels.

Thats not a horrible problem but since they are getting older they don't hold up as well as the later ones.

Oh and I like the door panel clips on the later over the Christmas tree style of the older style

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did any addition of 88-94 offer leather seats?
The Suburban's could be optioned with it for 1994, I've only ever seen gray and tan ones, but there may be red and blue ones, not 100% sure. The pickups also got them only for 1994 with the ZM2 package. They were all extended cab short beds and it was a rare package advertised as the "Silverado LT" and "Sierra SLT." They also only came with tan interiors from what I can tell. The leather seats on suburban's had dual arm rests, and the seats on ZM2 trucks just had inner armrests.

Last edited:

hot_rod4

Reaction score
The Suburban's could be optioned with it for 1994, I've only ever seen gray and tan ones, but there may be red and blue ones, not 100% sure. The pickups also got them only for 1994 with the ZM2 package. They were all extended cab short beds and it was a rare package advertised as the "Silverado LT" and "Sierra SLT." They also only came with tan interiors from what I can tell. The leather seats on suburban's had dual arm rests, and the seats on ZM2 trucks just had inner armrests.
I actually have this exact truck, never knew what package it was. It has tan pleather but time has not been kind to the drivers side. I will probably have the front two recovered some day because I feel I will never find covers for them.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually have this exact truck, never knew what package it was. It has tan pleather but time has not been kind to the drivers side. I will probably have the front two recovered some day because I feel I will never find covers for them.
Oh you do? That's really cool. I've seen 4 in person since I learned about them, definitely not a common package. Is yours a Chevy or GMC? It's interesting because there's no mention of the package on anything other than the Chevrolet order guide. The sales brochures don't mention it, the press kit doesn't mention it, and it was a rare one year option, so barely anyone knows about them. I believe a leather steering wheel, overhead console, autodimming mirror, and the slide out dash cupholders were all part of the package as well. I already have the leather wheel, autodimming mirror from a GMT800, and the overhead console in my truck, I'd also like to find a set of those leather seats and put them in one day.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
These seat bases were not covered with good material! Both of our 99 Burbs had issues on the front seats, and the second row hardly looks like it's been used. Now the top of the seat back on my current Burb,is getting gnarly like the seat bases, because when I ride back there I have my arm up on the back of the seat( center armrest doesn't get used much cause there's always stuff on the seat in front of it!). Houston humidity and acidic sweat are not good for these " leather" seats.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost