88-94 Factory Stereo Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lmoonan55

Reaction score
I don't want to raise this thread from the dead, but this seems to be the only place on the internet with information on these things. Long story short, I got a 16191455 electronic eq cassette player to replace the broken mechanical one. I got for pretty cheap off eBay, and I plugged it in and it turns on and works, but it won't play or eject anything. Took it apart and the belt is kind of soggy, so I plan on replacing it, even though it's not too bad. When you insert a tape in, it it runs it forward and backward like as if the tape was blank, then tries to eject it but all it does is keep clicking and not doing anything. I don't see anything bent or broken or otherwise missing, so I'll probably just replace the belt and lube it up. Is that all I can do? All the buttons and stuff work. Took some pics, let me know if you see anything wrong. I e never messed with these systems before so I'm not sure. Everything looks brand new so I'm confused with the clicking sound. The little solenoid is what controls the eject, is that correct?
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20210918_143649.jpg
    20210918_143649.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 11

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_230520497.jpg
    PXL_20220301_230520497.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220301_230513775.jpg
    PXL_20220301_230513775.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 29

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Ever see a CDM with a temp warning? This is a non-Bose, '94 DeVille.

Jeez, these things don't get THAT hot :rofl:

I don't want to raise this thread from the dead, but this seems to be the only place on the internet with information on these things. Long story short, I got a 16191455 electronic eq cassette player to replace the broken mechanical one. I got for pretty cheap off eBay, and I plugged it in and it turns on and works, but it won't play or eject anything. Took it apart and the belt is kind of soggy, so I plan on replacing it, even though it's not too bad. When you insert a tape in, it it runs it forward and backward like as if the tape was blank, then tries to eject it but all it does is keep clicking and not doing anything. I don't see anything bent or broken or otherwise missing, so I'll probably just replace the belt and lube it up. Is that all I can do? All the buttons and stuff work. Took some pics, let me know if you see anything wrong. I e never messed with these systems before so I'm not sure. Everything looks brand new so I'm confused with the clicking sound. The little solenoid is what controls the eject, is that correct?

The solenoid in this model controls EVERYTHING - eject, forward play, and reverse play, based on timing -- click on/off once to activate the big white gear, then click on and HOLD on at the correct time to stop that gear in the right place for whatever function you're wanting. See the black and silver on two of the gears? Those are directly under the tape reels - pointed at the silver/black is a little sensor. On the one deck I had that was like this one, one sensor was gummed up pretty bad, causing the deck to not realize the reels were moving. If I remember correctly, those sensors are on the backing plate you removed to get to the belt. I also seem to recall the mode selector gear (the BIG white one next to the solenoid) was really easy to mis-align and would actually pop up, causing nothing to work. Try cleaning those sensors and the silver/black wheels, and make sure that selector gear is properly positioned. It's easier to be sure of this if you have the deck powered when you're putting it together.

This model is pretty cool to me because it has all the functions of the 4-solenoid models but they got rid of the other three... And they actually reverse the motor direction for Side A Rewind.

To the OP AK49BWL we have those exact keyboard trays at work. And are those classic Apple Macintosh batteries in the pen holder?
Nah those are just little 2/3-AA batteries from some outdoor path lights I think lol.

Last edited:

4udio0ut

Reaction score
Hey gang, putting a stock setup in my 90 c1500 and running into a bit of a snag. Seems this is the group that knows their stuff so hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Starting from scratch as I purchased the truck with an aftermarket radio. Head unit and CDM had been removed. I've sourced all components indvidually from the interwebs. Here's what I have...

Head unit - 16141385
CDM - 16072780
Equalizer - 16191455

The head unit (which I believe to be the 5 band EQ version since there are no bass/treble buttons and based on the info in the first post) powers up. I can adjust volume, tune, everything. With the antenna plugged into the CDM, then head unit will stop at stations it can pickup. Equalizer powers up, but only the 2 outer bands light up. No sound out of any speakers no matter how much I play with the fade or balance. No radio static or anything. I've ruled out speaker wiring (1) as it worked fine with the aftermarket head unit and (2) I passed audio signal to the speaker harnesses and they work fine.

My hunch is that the CDM (which I believe to be a 5 band CDM again based on the info in this thread) could be powering the head unit and the equalizer, but not passing any audio signal. And perhaps if audio signal in the CDM is shot, this is causing the EQ to default to the 2 bands rather than the 5. Sound like this be the case?

Thanks for any help in advance!

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey gang, putting a stock setup in my 90 c1500 and running into a bit of a snag. Seems this is the group that knows their stuff so hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Starting from scratch as I purchased the truck with an aftermarket radio. Head unit and CDM had been removed. I've sourced all components indvidually from the interwebs. Here's what I have...

Head unit - 16141385
CDM - 16072780
Equalizer - 16191455

The head unit (which I believe to be the 5 band EQ version since there are no bass/treble buttons and based on the info in the first post) powers up. I can adjust volume, tune, everything. With the antenna plugged into the CDM, then head unit will stop at stations it can pickup. Equalizer powers up, but only the 2 outer bands light up. No sound out of any speakers no matter how much I play with the fade or balance. No radio static or anything. I've ruled out speaker wiring (1) as it worked fine with the aftermarket head unit and (2) I passed audio signal to the speaker harnesses and they work fine.

My hunch is that the CDM (which I believe to be a 5 band CDM again based on the info in this thread) could be powering the head unit and the equalizer, but not passing any audio signal. And perhaps if audio signal in the CDM is shot, this is causing the EQ to default to the 2 bands rather than the 5. Sound like this be the case?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Probably a bad cdm, but it would be odd if not having all 5 bands resulted from failure rather than being the incorrect part. I would try another cdm (regardless of what type it is) to see if the audio issue is resolved to narrow down the problem. I had a bad head unit that would light up and turn on but there was no audio and other controls didn’t work. Cdm was fine

4udio0ut

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back. Incorrect part/s causing only the 2 of 5 bands to work did cross my mind, but both the head unit (16141385) and CDM (16072780) support 5 band EQ according to my research and the original post from AK49BWL. I purchased the refurbished head unit from 1factoryradio, so assuming it's been tested to work. The EQ was also tested according to the seller (forget who but their reviews sounded legit). The CDM is the only component not tested by the seller, which is another reason I'm leaning toward it being the culprit.