88-94 5.7 Suburban A/C Diagnosis and Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything else that you guys recommend?
If you're gonna flush the system, I'd get a new receiver/drier and orifice tube too.

Any specific info on the 11-blade fan and severe duty clutch? Like part numbers?
Honestly I can't remember where I got them. IIRC the fan came off a newer Tahoe and the clutch came off a 1 Ton truck. Maybe @L31MaxExpress can help.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Wildblue19

Which parts did you order for your efan project. I have a 94 K2500 that is having same issues you are having. Eerily similar!!

Thinking about this helper fan as well!

Thanks and good luck!!

Also—weather permitting…I’m going to evacuate and recharge per @L31MaxExpress recommemdations posted earlier in this thread.

I still have the rear air box open after replacing the TXV. Will have that buttoned up on Saturday.

I’ve replaced EVERYTHING with the exception of both evaporators and all lines.

There is awesome stuff in this thread. Thanks for pointing me here @1998_K1500_Sub Much appreciated.

@L31MaxExpress I believe you might be near my neck of the woods. Do you do automotive AC work??

Thanks everyone and have a fantastic day!
Sorry, for legality reasons I only work on my own. I am not bonded and insured if I blow you ac system up. Although I am not against taking a look at it diagnostic wise.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're gonna flush the system, I'd get a new receiver/drier and orifice tube too.

Honestly I can't remember where I got them. IIRC the fan came off a newer Tahoe and the clutch came off a 1 Ton truck. Maybe @L31MaxExpress can help.
The newer 11 bladed fan was used on the 96+ Tahoe and Suburban as well as fullsize vans from about 2003-2019ish.

Sorry for the late reply guys, a bit off topic but I have been cooking today and just woke back up after I laid down earlier to rest off a food comma. Smoked marinated bacon jalepeno porkloin, grilled medium rare ribeye, grilled corn on the cob and fried okra and squash. Along with a cold beer and a couple more while I was tending to the smoker. Monday was my dad's 70th heavenly birthday and I had to celebrate his life with a cookout on my day off this week with my mom.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, and the clutch for a TBI?

Severe or Heavy duty clutch for a TBI.
Ok. I’m new to the Chevy/suburban world. So, I appreciate your patience.

Specifically, the fan clutch…which vehicles and years?

TBI? Throttle body injection? My 94 is TBI. Do have this severe or heavy duty fan clutch already?

@L31MaxExpress

That’s some good looking grub!

@Wildblue19

I apologize for hijacking your thread!!

I have my fan coming. Should be here Friday. Will be tinkering with old SAWLTY all day long Saturday!!

Thank you.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Severe or Heavy duty clutch for a TBI.
For anywhere in Texas or the southern US, if you're planning on driving the truck much with the AC on , this time of year, I personally would recommend the heavy duty fan clutch! Seen too many times when people didn't want to spend the $$ initially, and then spend way more than that because the vehicle overheated. I was helping run the family auto parts store, starting back in the late 70s, when GM first came out with these. We had many shops as customers who had fleet service contracts, and they were running into this issue.

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anywhere in Texas or the southern US, if you're planning on driving the truck much with the AC on , this time of year, I personally would recommend the heavy duty fan clutch! Seen too many times when people didn't want to spend the $$ initially, and then spend way more than that because the vehicle overheated. I was helping run the family auto parts store, starting back in the late 70s, when GM first came out with these. We had many shops as customers who had fleet service contracts, and they were running into this issue.
Which vehicles can stock with the heavy duty fan clutch?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Which vehicles can stock with the heavy duty fan clutch?
My '99 Burb,L31 Vortec 350 has it. But the Vortec one mounts different; the water pump rotation and snout are different.
I just checked on Rock Auto and scrolled through all the listings for your Burb. If you go all the way down, there's a "severe duty thermal" category, and those are the ones that we're talking about. They're thicker and have lots more fins. They will make a difference! I think this clutch is part of the towing package option but I'm not entirely sure. Both of my 99 Burbs had it, and the crew cab has it too. And all three have the towing package option.