88 1500 5.0 throttle sticking closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
Here's a thought...are you cranking down hard on the air cleaner? I know it may sound crazy but the air cleaner could bind the throttle cable and keep it open?

I know working on a few carbs that an overtightened air cleaner would cause the air horn to warp binding the choke.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? The accumulated dirt, carbon deposits, and fuel residue will cause that. Just get a can of throttle body cleaner and spray down your throttle body inside and out. Pay particular attention to both sides of the throttle plates. I do mine every time I replace my air filter.

Greg S Meier

Reaction score
Here's a thought...are you cranking down hard on the air cleaner? I know it may sound crazy but the air cleaner could bind the throttle cable and keep it open?

I know working on a few carbs that an overtightened air cleaner would cause the air horn to warp binding the choke.
Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? The accumulated dirt, carbon deposits, and fuel residue will cause that. Just get a can of throttle body cleaner and spray down your throttle body inside and out. Pay particular attention to both sides of the throttle plates. I do mine every time I replace my air filter.
I have diagnosed it with & without the air cleaner. Same either wat. Ugh

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have diagnosed it with & without the air cleaner. Same either wat. Ugh
Also look at the throttle cable and linkage and be sure that they're not binding up somewhere. The linkage likely needs a little bit of lubrication, and it all works better when clean and lubed.

Greg S Meier

Reaction score
I haven't!
I will do! You recommend a certian brand?