87 k5 blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It just dawned on me the other day that I've never share pics of my father in laws blazer. As the title states, it an 87 with the throttle body 350. I believe the trans is a 700r?? It's got overdrive. I don't think it's lifted, but it is a bit of a chore to get in it and I'm 6'2. And it rides like a damn backboard! He's getting to get all the body work, paint and interior done. I've really been trying to get him to 5.3 or 6.0 swap. He doesn't even know how much more enjoyable it would be. Lol
I'm not particularly fond of these, but I figured you guys might like to see it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a 350/ 700R4 combo. Won't need to rev as high as the LSs do to make low end power and torque. That's what you use 4 wheeling.....just like towing.
true . But he's not the off roading type. This thing hasn't seen a dirt road since he bbought it six years ago. I honestly don't even know why he has it. Lol

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an 83 K5. It was my daily for 6 years in Arizona.
Awesome offroad trucks.
The K5 back then had the highest "ramp travel index" of any 4x4 you could get and the NP 208 had the lowest ratio you could get.
32x11.5 BFG all terrains on 10 inch rims with some stiff Rancho shocks and a steering stabilizer made it an awesome Mexico beach rig.
I could air them down to about 15 psi and bomb the dunes all day without loosing the bead.
I would drive it to work on Friday loaded with all of our stuff, punch the clock and split to Baja for a couple of weeks
I jumped sand dunes and launched that thing so damn hard that I broke both front seats in half.
I decided to put a roll cage in it and forgot to bolt the back folding seat into the truck. Hit a dune in Mexico and gave my ex and her best freind concussions when their heads bopped off the pipe.

My buddy Keith went out the passenger door and I went right between the two of them and ended up in the bed with my toolbox and 2 cases of corona before the tailgate popped open and left me on the beach.
It was all epic
I also burned up 4 transmissions.
When I moved to Colorado, the K5 was worn out at 285,000 miles and it was too wide for the goat path trails.
So, like a dumbass I got rid of it.
Keep that truck, keep that truck, whatever you do, keep that truck!
Thanks for the memories brother.
You just drove me down the road of some fine old times

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an 83 K5. It was my daily for 6 years in Arizona.
Awesome offroad trucks.
The K5 back then had the highest "ramp travel index" of any 4x4 you could get and the NP 208 had the lowest ratio you could get.
32x11.5 BFG all terrains on 10 inch rims with some stiff Rancho shocks and a steering stabilizer made it an awesome Mexico beach rig.
I could air them down to about 15 psi and bomb the dunes all day without loosing the bead.
I would drive it to work on Friday loaded with all of our stuff, punch the clock and split to Baja for a couple of weeks
I jumped sand dunes and launched that thing so damn hard that I broke both front seats in half.
I decided to put a roll cage in it and forgot to bolt the back folding seat into the truck. Hit a dune in Mexico and gave my ex and her best freind concussions when their heads bopped off the pipe.

My buddy Keith went out the passenger door and I went right between the two of them and ended up in the bed with my toolbox and 2 cases of corona before the tailgate popped open and left me on the beach.
It was all epic
I also burned up 4 transmissions.
When I moved to Colorado, the K5 was worn out at 285,000 miles and it was too wide for the goat path trails.
So, like a dumbass I got rid of it.
Keep that truck, keep that truck, whatever you do, keep that truck!
Thanks for the memories brother.
You just drove me down the road of some fine old times
No problem! Glad I could help! Lol
Were these things pretty tall from the factory the way the ole high boys were? I have kids pull up next to me in their lifted trucks and I'm level with them. They ask what lift it has and I shrug my shoulders and tell them I have no clue. Lol it's crazy the amount of fun stuff you did in yours. Straight axles are tough, but I don't doubt they made for a stiff as landing. Lol.
Father in law is pretty fond of it, so I don't see it going anywhere. Engine and trans has been rebuilt and the rear end was rebuilt last year. So it runs pretty good. It mainly needs all the little stuff fixed or updated. Radio, ac, heat, dash cluster bulbs, etc.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice rig with tons of potential! Always liked the Blazers. I have an 85 K10 SWB that has been with me longer than my wife and I joke she would go before the truck. Pictures look like that is at factory height, about the same as mine before I lifted it.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem! Glad I could help! Lol
Were these things pretty tall from the factory the way the ole high boys were? I have kids pull up next to me in their lifted trucks and I'm level with them. They ask what lift it has and I shrug my shoulders and tell them I have no clue. Lol it's crazy the amount of fun stuff you did in yours. Straight axles are tough, but I don't doubt they made for a stiff as landing. Lol.
Father in law is pretty fond of it, so I don't see it going anywhere. Engine and trans has been rebuilt and the rear end was rebuilt last year. So it runs pretty good. It mainly needs all the little stuff fixed or updated. Radio, ac, heat, dash cluster bulbs, etc.
They do sit pretty high because of the leaf spring ends. They are also at their best at stock height and the 32x11.5 on ten inch rims fit with no rubbing.
The ride on road is actually pretty good but you can take em for a flight and though the truck wont care a bit, it will pop you right out the window when it lands.
The truck will be just fine, you just might have to run after it for awhile.
It will stall eventually, unless its in 4 low.
Then it will drive away untill it climbs a phone pole or ends up on the roof of someones house

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They do sit pretty high because of the leaf spring ends. They are also at their best at stock height and the 32x11.5 on ten inch rims fit with no rubbing.
The ride on road is actually pretty good but you can take em for a flight and though the truck wont care a bit, it will pop you right out the window when it lands.
The truck will be just fine, you just might have to run after it for awhile.
It will stall eventually, unless its in 4 low.
Then it will drive away untill it climbs a phone pole or ends up on the roof of someones house
Man, now I really want to ramp it. But I don't want to deal with the aftermath. Lol
The old high boys were tough like that. My dad would drive his through creek beds and mud with water coming the the bottom of the doors. They took the abuse like it was nothing. Seen a friend jump railroad tracks in a 78 f250. Made a hell of a racket and gave him whiplash, but the truck kept going. Lol

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice rig with tons of potential! Always liked the Blazers. I have an 85 K10 SWB that has been with me longer than my wife and I joke she would go before the truck. Pictures look like that is at factory height, about the same as mine before I lifted it.
I say the same thing to my wife about my truck and dog. Truck for ten years and ole molly for six. Only been with the wife for three. Lol
Good to know about the height. Now I know what to tell folks. It definitely has potential. It runs and drive well, but definitely needs some attention. Fortunately it's not rusty. He told me today that January was when the work would start on it. So I will update the thread as progress moves along.