87 cavalier wagon questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Sad news..a tree fell on the wagon,so it’s getting scrapped along with the s10 frame..oh well,time to start on my 4wd protege5..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm split between expressing sorrow for your project, and being gleeful in the demise of another Cavalier.

I have a friend who partnered with another guy to build a 7th gen Protege for Rallycross. It was never competitive, even with a full set of custom built coilovers. The 1.8 was hopped up with a bunch of Miata parts, but it was still way underpowered. The Protege5 is an 8th gen with the same motor. If you want any serious performance, I'd recommend either boost or an engine swap.

Last I heard the owner sold the car for about 1/4 of what he had in it. I'd considered it as a first car for one of my kids, but by that time it had sat so long it was developing problems.

Last edited:

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
I'm split between expressing sorrow for your project, and being gleeful in the demise of another Cavalier.

I have a friend who partnered with another guy to build a 7th gen Protege for Rallycross. It was never competitive, even with a full set of custom built coilovers. The 1.8 was hopped up with a bunch of Miata parts, but it was still way underpowered. The Protege5 is an 8th gen with the same motor. If you want any serious performance, I'd recommend either boost or an engine swap.

Last I heard the owner sold the car for about 1/4 of what he had in it. I'd considered it as a first car for one of my kids, but by that time it had sat so long it was developing problems.
The P5s all came with the “updated” fsde,it’s a twin cam 2.0 that’s super similar to the Miata engine,I’m pretty sure it’s just a different head. But no worries,I’m not keeping the FSDE. I’m going to pick up a mx6 with the KLDE and 5spd,same as a probe gt from the mid 90s. I’m gonna put big cams in it,make an aluminum intake for it with bigger runners,headers,and port the heads along with injectors and I’ve been kicking around the idea of spraying it as well lol. I probably won’t,it should be rowdy enough.
But the only plans for this one is lift it like 6in,fit 31s under it and just have something different to cruise in. And occasionally drive through a deep mudhole lol

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Picked up my mx6 yesterday, gonna start taking the front sub frame off tomorrow and stealing the wiring harness. Got my heads swapped on my two P5s so I have a daily lol. After I pull the axles and everything from the old car, im gonna start fabbing some control arms for the lift and figure out how long the axles will have to be. Hopefully it'll be "easy" because I really wanna take it to import alliance with the lift and 31s lol

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Alright sooo just came across a ranger frame today, wheelbase is the same as the protege..all I need to do is make motor mounts, do a little cutting and welding on the floorboards and make some body mounts. Hopefully getting the frame this weekend, if it all works out ill be putting it on 33s with a 6in lift. Too bad ive spent so much on the car already, it would've made a sweeeet gambler 500 rig

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they care that much. "Participants are encouraged to spend no more than $500 on their vehicle; however, this limit is not enforced."

It's kinda like Lemons racing. Don't worry so much about the budget, but avoid using the wallet wrench. I'm pretty sure that if you put a Protege on a Ranger chassis, everybody is going to like it.