8 plug!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gave the 96 hoe a tuneup, got all but the 8 plug out that one is a keeper at least for now. Anybody know a way to get that one out has Gibson headers as I learned today and took a burn to the palm side of my thumb... just touched after running engine for about 15-29 seconds. [emoji2959]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
try a short style spark plug socket and use a wrench to drive it. Or a crows foot spark plug socket. I have an old split socket, it comes apart in two pieces and you assemble it on the plug. The writing is long since worn off though so no idea where to get one.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try pulling the tire and going in from the bottom/side?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
try a short style spark plug socket and use a wrench to drive it. Or a crows foot spark plug socket. I have an old split socket, it comes apart in two pieces and you assemble it on the plug. The writing is long since worn off though so no idea where to get one.

I think a socket driven by a wrench is how I get mine too.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
about 30 years ago I bent an old combination wrench in order to drive the spark plug socket for #8 plug on a Nova with A/C.
Cut, bend , weld a cheapy wrench to get the job done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

My '97 7.4L with stock manifolds could hardly be easier. I don't know how "Gibson headers" might change that, though.

As easy as it is, the last guy to put plugs in it cracked the porcelain, which is why #8 was a dead hole when I bought the truck.

I've never been so happy to see a broken spark plug. Probably cooked the catalyst for that bank, though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Headers block plugs, they make it a royal asspain. You don't get a straight shot anymore

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a 5/8 shorty open end socket on eBay. When I get it I’ll try and lyk

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plus I didn’t realize how quick and how hot these headers get. Should they be wrapped? I wouldn’t hesitate going back to manifolds

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can wrap if you want, no need though. Thin walled tubing does heat up and cool off much more quickly than cast, but cast it better about keeping the heat in which helps fire the cats off more quickly. They also hold in more noise so good for NVH. They suck at performance though.