8 lug conversion on a 98 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbsavage

Reaction score
I got a 98 k1500 has a 14 bolt ff rear axle under it I'm wanting to swap the front to match the 8 lug pattern. I have googled it but I can only find post from 10 years ago and nothing current. I do not want to run spacers at all so that is not a option. Has any one on here done this swap or have a link for a post where someone has done it any help would be appreciated. I work at a auto salvage yard so I can get just about any part I need just need to know what I need

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
not an easy conversion. the 1500 uca is narrower where it mounts to the frame than a 2500.. and won't fit a 2500 steering knuckle as the ball joint taper is different. unless your machining skill are up there.. you'll have to be creative converting it. Don't ask me how I know.. but I did such a build last year.. and quite successfully ... but was lots of screwing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@98chevy2500SS

It'll take a LOT of fabrication to make everything work, I did a mountain of research when I was first searching for a GMT400 and it all came back to the same thing, it can't be done easily; so I just waited and found an actual K2500.

You COULD frame swap it, or like @ddaxe said, it can be done, it's just going to be a lot of work.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks for tagging me @BNielsen. :)

As others said, it is work to make this work. When dad and I did the swap, the front frame mounts will need to be relocated, the diff. mount will need to be relocated, and the front shock mounts will also need to be relocated. You will need the 3/4 ton upper control arms, but the 3/4 ton lower control arms swap in no problem. Rear axle also swaps in no problem, the easiest part of the swap. It wasn't too hard, just time consuming. But I think it was worth having it over a SAS. The ride quality is better than my 97! :eek:

We were finally able to get my 98 leveled! I bought some lift keys for it and I was able to crank it up to 39 inches, the back is also 39 inches as well. We did this when we had to replace the flywheel since the teeth were getting chewed up, when I tried starting it up when the snow finally melted. This years winter was terrible! It is going in an enclosed area this winter for sure. Also put in a corvette servo, didn't feel a difference. :rolleyes: Anyway, I was very happy that the lift keys worked, well worth the $100, and I am not even maxed out yet. Now, we did have the regular keys installed, but when maxed out, it was barely lifted, at all, it sat stock height w/ the rake. With it leveled out, it rides like it was at stock height!

Edit: I talked about this swap here, its a good read :) : https://www.gmt400.com/threads/swap-8-5-ifs-for-9-25.38576/page-2

I suggest reading this whole thread before you continue as I find some changes that had to be made.

Last edited: