8.1 vortec l18 / nv4500 swap. lean mode ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can engage lean cruise in your stock ECM. If you install the EBL-flash by Dynamic EFI, it allows you to tune with your laptop and part of that is the ability to access lean cruise. I have it on my truck, and it works great. Got as much as 25mpg with my warmed up 350. Still tuning on my 383, we'll see how that goes.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can engage lean cruise in your stock ECM. If you install the EBL-flash by Dynamic EFI, it allows you to tune with your laptop and part of that is the ability to access lean cruise. I have it on my truck, and it works great. Got as much as 25mpg with my warmed up 350. Still tuning on my 383, we'll see how that goes.

The 8.1 uses a PCM, whole different animal.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually didn't get a wiring harness with the 8.1 is the only reason why I was in the market for the stand alone harness. I was planning on doing drive by cable throttle because I had the option with the aftermarket harness that I was looking into and the truck was originally a drive by cable truck, so I was thinking that would be easier. I have the option of sourcing an oem engine harness off line but the only one I can find is for the newer body style with an Allison and drive by wire set up. Which one would be more practical the stand alone for 600$ or trying to gut the 500$ oem harness?

In your case I would be looking at going standalone as well.

With the 0411 you can do real lean cruise. You just have to make the computer think its a holden.

Completely agree, but that is why I specified US made. I have heard of people manipulating the file to change that in the PCM, but it wasn't stock.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Completely agree, but that is why I specified US made. I have heard of people manipulating the file to change that in the PCM, but it wasn't stock.

It's something I'd like to experiment with myself. I know what I need to do, it just isn't a high enough priority at the moment.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Right, AFAIK the epa made this illegal for the US. It is at least easy enough to do if you have tuning software.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Right, AFAIK the epa made this illegal for the US. It is at least easy enough to do if you have tuning software.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the tuning software, I have HPTuners and it does not allow you to enable it, in fact they get really pissy if you bring it up on their forum... I have heard rumor that EFILive can let you, but I have also heard of people having to go in an edit the binary itself to enable. I don't know enough about the process to provide real information.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score