8.1 Vortec Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like school buses run them? Not sure if they power other vehicles. I also didn't know about them.

I wonder how much they run for? Look at that torque curve! :D

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
never heard of the 8.8 .

a few years ago GM destined a 8.0 gasser that was supposed to be commercial vehicles only. but got the chopping block and maybe that is a modified version of that or whatever.

Also last I checked the 8.1 was discontinued years ago in new trucks minus a few select rare 2500 suburbans for govt and combat contractor use in up armored vehicles. how true that is I never confirmed.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
never heard of the 8.8 .

a few years ago GM destined a 8.0 gasser that was supposed to be commercial vehicles only. but got the chopping block and maybe that is a modified version of that or whatever.

Also last I checked the 8.1 was discontinued years ago in new trucks minus a few select rare 2500 suburbans for govt and combat contractor use in up armored vehicles. how true that is I never confirmed.
8.0l is a tall deck version of a 7.4 vortec with 58x signal and pistons/rods from 8.1l
I have a full spare set of 20 over used pistons and standard forged rods for a 8.1l(or 8.0l as they use same pistons/rods)

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stroker 8.1 is a 540, (8.8) maybe that's what PSI are doing. One of my buddies has one and it ran great until his alcohol consumption one night at one of those mudfest gatherings overcame it's ability to keep the rods inside itself. I used to have video of the headers on that thing glowing white hot in a mudhole right before it windowed the pan. It was down for a while after that.

It's back together but now he's got tuning issues. He acquired a Paxton for it along the way, if he ever gets off his a$$ and finishes it, it'll be a monster.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this article when researching the 8.8, while definitely a bada$$ motor, it's a different motor than the 8.1. It's newly "...designed, tooled, and manufactured...in the US" by PSI, I can't find any reference to GM at all....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Found this article when researching the 8.8, while definitely a bada$$ motor, it's a different motor than the 8.1. It's newly "...designed, tooled, and manufactured...in the US" by PSI, I can't find any reference to GM at all....

You're taking it too literally. Its obviously a gen 7 derived BBC, just like Mercury and other marine engine manufacturers did with past GM v8s.

I'd love to get one..... no idea what I'd put it in though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Now that I'm home I just clicked on the link Richard posted..... that's a different picture than what I've seen before and I'll admit it's not as recognizable as a BBC. Here's a better one. This is actually the industrial version.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Now that I'm home I just clicked on the link Richard posted..... that's a different picture than what I've seen before and I'll admit it's not as recognizable as a BBC. Here's a better one. This is actually the industrial version.

You must be registered for see images attach
Man these computer renderings are almost as clear and nice as a photograph.... I have absolutely no need for this...but if my ship came in I'd want one of these and a truck to put it in. Then I could probably haul the ship with it!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're taking it too literally. Its obviously a gen 7 derived BBC, just like Mercury and other marine engine manufacturers did with past GM v8s.

I'd love to get one..... no idea what I'd put it in though.
Gotcha. The connection between the Mercury marine motors was easy to make, but this one doesn't seem obvious to me. I guess it's like Reher Morrison or Shafiroff in the racing world.