'76 Highboy Restomod/Overland Light Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Subbing i love these old trucks I’d love to have one. My girlfriends grandpa used to have a couple of them, he had a super nice one for street driving I’ve saw pictures of it was probably on 44s. He also had another one that was a mud truck. My girlfriends dad drove it in the mud bogs and races when he was a teenager and won a bunch of trophies in it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes that's a big dealer chain in north Texas. They handle all brands as far as I know. ( haven't been north of DFW in a few years LOL! ) Their Chevy dealership in Decatur is where I saw the first GMT 400 series trucks, in mid February 1987. Didn't know then I would ever have one. We hadn't gotten into Burbs yet; a fullsize Buick estate wagon was our swap meet vehicle then. Really big shows,we'd use the 81 GMC half ton long bed pickup too.....ah, back when gas was seriously cheap!
Nice Ford truck, by the way, reminds me of ones friends had when I was in high school.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Finally got around to working on the brakes. The wheel cylinders were bad, so I'm replacing those and decided to do the springs as well while in there. The shoes still have plenty of life. These things were filled with cob webs and the passenger side was even worse than the pictured drivers side.

The axles are pretty messy too. Gonna wipe them down and clean out the rear diff as best I can. Really need to do all the fluids, but I'll start with this one.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a few more minutes to work on the truck this evening. Got the passenger side springs/shoes back together. Just waiting on a new socket to arrive so I can put the drums and axles back on. Also pulled the rear diff cover and drained the fluid.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Got to do a little work on the truck recently. After doing some research on wheel sizes/lug patterns, I found a set of 17" 07 dodge wheels on facebook that it looked like would probably fit. For $20, I figured it was worth a chance and picked them up. Did a quick test fit and they worked. The very next day I saw a new post for some used 35" tires for a 17" inch wheel. I'd been looking for a little bit already, and this deal just fell into my lap with perfect timing. Got all four of them for $200. Although the tires are fairly new, two of them were wearing funny/quicker than the others, which is why I got them cheap. I'm not going to be doing a lot of driving or any on the interstate, so they'll work perfect for me.

Then over the weekend I put them on. The truck had a blown tire and the mirror was touching the wall. The other side was right next to the ac. So the only way to change tires was to somehow drag the truck out first. My dad got a winch for his jeep not long ago and that made quick work of it.

Then I was finally able to get the wheels on. Not my favorite wheels, but I have to admit, they look better mounted than I thought they would. They are a narrower wheel and the offset is quite a bit different than the other ones, so the tires are kind of tucked in some. I'm not into the whole stance game, but it does look a little funny compared to the old ones.

While rummaging around and cleaning out the cab/engine bay with a leaf blower, I found what I think is the keychain that came with the truck when my grandpa bought it.

Also got a closer look at the bed and realized it wasn't actually a highboy bed. It came off one of the 2wd's or later year fords with the wider frame rails. It's got some homemade, angle iron bed mounts welded to the side of the frame here and there. I hope to find an actual highboy bed to replace it with. Or at least get a cleaner bed mounted a little more cleanly. But anyways, I asked my dad about the bed. He said the the original was beat to pieces hauling hay, firewood, etc. and ended up splitting a part. At one point, they hauled about 100 square bales with it. Stacked up on the cab and everything.

Besides the tires, I put a new battery in, topped of the antifreeze, and, with a little gas and starting fluid, it started right up. Only runs for a couple seconds while there's gas in the carb though. There seems to be not enough pressure. I ordered a new fuel pump since they're only about $30 and am going to drain the gas when I replace that. Hopefully that does the trick and everything else is good enough that I can start driving it around town or going out to the desert now and then.

Lastly, I snapped a picture of the door sticker for future reference.

Holy crap! James Wood of Denton! That's where my mom's '87 Sierra came from when new! My grandad bought it from his coworker who bought it new, and gave it to my mom.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few days ago I put the axles and drums back together. Then yesterday I got around to refilling the diff. Found a cheap pump at the parts store. It's a little slow, but way cleaner and easier than using a funnel like I did on my 96.

Also got started on brake lines. Got a new one from the frame to rear axle, and made a couple going to the rear wheels. Ordered a new axle breather bolt and put it in to. Still need to run a line from it to the frame and maybe find a filter for it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A few days ago I put the axles and drums back together. Then yesterday I got around to refilling the diff. Found a cheap pump at the parts store. It's a little slow, but way cleaner and easier than using a funnel like I did on my 96.

I have a similar pump. I don't remember it being slow, but maybe mine is higher capacity. It sure did work well. I've used it on the front and rear differentials, and the transfercase.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Do yourself a HUGE favor... add a hidden kill switch somewhere. Chris Fix on YouTube has an EXCELLENT video on doing so. Any classic vehicle with a dash mounted ignition switch needs one. The 73-79 F-series trucks use one of 4 different switches that, if someone wanted to, could buy one, easily get into your truck, simply unplug yours, plug their's in start it and drive away.
Trust me.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a similar pump. I don't remember it being slow, but maybe mine is higher capacity. It sure did work well. I've used it on the front and rear differentials, and the transfercase.

It is possible I was just being impatient. Maybe some thinner oil would have gone quicker as well.

Do yourself a HUGE favor... add a hidden kill switch somewhere. Chris Fix on YouTube has an EXCELLENT video on doing so. Any classic vehicle with a dash mounted ignition switch needs one. The 73-79 F-series trucks use one of 4 different switches that, if someone wanted to, could buy one, easily get into your truck, simply unplug yours, plug their's in start it and drive away.
Trust me.

I didn't know that. I'll have to get to that at some point then.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished up all the brake lines awhile ago, and then saw that the master cylinder was leaking. Ordered a new one and have been trying to find a booster as well. I spent weeks looking and wading through false positives to find out they're impossible to find. Looked at Battle Born Brakes hydroboost conversion, but can't justify the cost at the moment. Ended up going through rock auto and sent my old one in to Cardone to get rebuilt.

Took some time today to clean the engine bay by starting with the air cleaner.

Tried using some engine degreaser at first, then ended up doing a couple wash and rinse cycles with dish soap. Followed this up with some Mothers Mag I had lying around. Used aluminum foil at first to knock some rust off. This worked pretty good on the lighter surface rust but didn't do much for the heavier, deeper stuff. The aluminum foil did leave some scratches, but I figured it might and wasn't to concerned about it all things considered. I heard of someone else doing this and just kind of wanted to experiment for myself. Anyways, I gave it a final polish with some blue shop towels and then wiped/buffed off anything left with another of said paper towels.