75 Datsun/ Scarab conversion project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little back story. These cars were built by Scarab. Glass skins bonded to the steel body etc and a V8 was tossed in. It's a shop my buddy is at and I have worked for and known the owner better part of 20 years. This was a father/son project one of the helpers was doing at home with his Dad. Well his Dad passed so everybody is volunteering time to get the car done. I don't work there but volunteered some time in exchange for some booth/shop time. The car was really rough and had a faux targa/t-top hack job done on it. The kid prepped/stripped it, my buddy welded the roof on, and I get to do the mudwork and prime work. Never been a big fan of the Scarab's but I dig the old Datsuns V8'ed and this one sounds nasty as hell. It's for conscientious hard working kid which is a rare find these days.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's growing on me. The Scarabs always struck me as a bit goofy in a 70's "Corvette Summer" kind of way. I may have a thing for the 70's and dik'n around with fiberglass and just don't know it. lol

From another thread I posted on this site.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some blocking done today. Some cut through is pretty standard fare on the first go around. I didn't start the bodywork on this car and imho this is a bit much but it's going to get re*primed anyway. The roof which I do the filler work on actually looks good with minimal cut through. A pic of some of the tools involved also. Not a big fan of Durablocks but it's all I had today. The wooden stick is a cut paint paddle and yes after 30 years I still tape out body lines and block to the tape to get crisp and straight lines.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some blocking done today. Some cut through is pretty standard fare on the first go around. I didn't start the bodywork on this car and imho this is a bit much but it's going to get re*primed anyway. The roof which I do the filler work on actually looks good with minimal cut through. A pic of some of the tools involved also. Not a big fan of Durablocks but it's all I had today. The wooden stick is a cut paint paddle and yes after 30 years I still tape out body lines and block to the tape to get crisp and straight lines.

What blocks do you prefer?