700r4 won't shift out of 1st when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a rebuilt very low mileage 700r4 in a 92 k1500 4x4. I can drive this thing all day long with no problems at normal low/mid rpms. But if I go to about 3/4 throttle and put it under a load for a few seconds and then come to a stop, it won't shift out of 1st no matter what I do. When it happens, I usually just park it for a minute or 2 and it'll go back to shifting normal again. Ive got the TV cable adjusted where it's supposed to be, and i'm positive of this because I spent ALOT of time figuring that out over the summer through trial and error. So I just took the governor out and the valve is moving freely with the weight movements and the gear looks good as far as I can tell. It's just something about when it gets hot it won't come out of 1st, but reverse is fine. It's got me pretty confused at this point.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one with about the same issues as yours, found the TV spool was stuck, pulled the valve body, cleaned it up, found 1 check ball was missing, and installed a TV spool that had a return spring from TransGo that was supposed to keep it from getting stuck again. The trans worked great for a couple weeks then started screwing up again. It's now sitting on the floor in my shop and I bought a Stage 2 (600HP advertised) trans and a 2300 - 2500RPM TC.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was told that it was rebuilt with a shift kit in it, but I haven't gone any further than flushing it and replacing the filter. I did install a new TV cable though, because the clip for the throttle body was broken. I looked at a video yesterday that potentially explains what could be happening, bur there's no way it could be that easy...nothing with this truck has been easy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Whenever I see a PO has something listed as "rebuilt" in their for sale ad I never get excited, squeamish is more like it. With no paperwork or history its a ready to fail at any time 200k mile unit in my eyes.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, my dad actually knows the guy who did the work, and the guy I bought the truck from, and he sees them on a regular basis. But the person I bought it from was far more experienced in the motorcycle department than the car/truck aspect, so he could've been blowing smoke about the shift kit. But i'm inclined to believe it was done right because he knows the type of person my dad is, and i'm sure he wouldn't want to do it again, against his will for free.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read some where to jack up the rear end and put it in reverse and let it run for 20 minutes at idle to fix the problem - didn't help. IMO if the TV spool is getting stuck then you have debris floating around in the system and if you don't find the source and cure it, it'll continue to give you problems.