700r4 to 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie77

Reaction score
I’m converting a 92 1500 with a 700r4 to a 4l60e. Now obviously the 700 has a linkage and 4l60e is cable. So what’s the best way to make this happen some modification? or a cable conversion kit?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m converting a 92 1500 with a 700r4 to a 4l60e. Now obviously the 700 has a linkage and 4l60e is cable. So what’s the best way to make this happen some modification? or a cable conversion kit?
92-94 used linkage on a 4l60e. The 4l60e is essentially an electronic shift 700r4. Use the shift bracket from the 700r4 on the 4l60e and you are good to go.

bowtie77

Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned it’s a 2002 4l60e. I’ll see if it will still work thanks

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 700R4 is a completely self contained and functioning unit. It's only input is from the throttle cable linkage. A 4L60E from a 2002 will need some computer input to make it function properly. Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

bowtie77

Reaction score
Let me start over bc I keep leaving out information lol. I’m swapping a 5.3 and 4l60e into a 92. The motor mounts I used will put the trans in the exact location of the 700, but your rite this has a module on it. That’s where I feel like I’m going to run into a late night of beer drinking and brainstorming

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, now I'm following the bread crumbs your putting down. With as many LS swaps as there are talked about on this site, I'm sure that problem has been addressed more than once. Probably a fairly simple solution to your dilemma.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As you indicated, your choice of motor mounts place the 4L60e in the same place as the 700. The driveshaft front slip-yoke has the same spines and now the same length...Good to go. Make sure, as posted, your "TV" cable is serving the same function as the 700r4 to increase line pressure for holding clutches & the band, so it goes to the same bracket location with the engine it is mated too. Make damm sure it is hooked up and properly adjusted before the wheels hit the ground. As said, the rest is electronics using the same match PCM that goes with the engine. The speedo output falls into several types with a 40 tooth reluctor on the output shaft, using a 2 wire permanent magnet type, generating a high-resolution directly into the PCM for 2002. The PCM splits the signal for radio volume control, ABS brakes then to the speedometer via class 2 serial data on three wires. If should have a cable driven in the 92 1500 truck that requires an adaptor to produce the OEM signal with your current 4L60e sensor and yet drive a cable. Some, like Dakota Digital offer a motor to drive the cable. But it's only money. I am sure there are several on the market, unless you're changing the dash. Other than that, make sure you have good grounds as the speedo signal wire is twisted w/ground wire inside the harness to PCM and route carefully, but have chassis to battery, engine to chassis & cab grounds as well. Good time to upgrade to heavier cable if you plan on installing an AD244 alternator for extra electronic goodies in the future.
Depending on final drive ratio, tire size, hot or not driver, the PCM can be programmed to work even better. I recommend LS1swap.com. Brendon is in MO. and $75 will get you up and going.
Not too hard to do with many threads and videos out there to review. If your donor is a truck engine, it pulls hard and will be a great choice for a tired 92 power plant. Upgrade the fuel system is you choice, but I like to keep it simple with OE parts as needed. Many will point you to AN fittings, expensive filters, pumps and hoses, but that's you choice.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The original question I believe was about hooking up the shift linkage for the transmission, in that case Skylark is correct.

The 2002 4L60E does not use a "TV" cable to control line pressure rise, the computer or other electronic controller does that.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wrong thought as you are right, force motor handles that job. Just allowed current project to cloud my thinking. I will stand in the corner now:(