700R4 shift linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I got the transmission back from the rebuilder this past Friday and installed over the weekend. Here's the problem, I can't remember how the linkage was set up. I fought it for almost two hours as a thunderstorm moved in and had to give up for the moment. I followed both the Haynes and Chilton manuals and the both said "place shifter & transmission in neutral, connect linkage, tighten bolts, remove jackstands" (paraphrasing).

I thought I had it figured out but whenever I set it up the way the books describe, when I shift into Park, trans goes into Drive?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not really a complex mechanism but it's also a bit of a wacky engineering design, making it tricky to tell what's really going on in your case without actually being there.

Is it possible you just have it adjusted incorrectly? Engine compartment side of the firewall where the shift mechanism comes out of the steering column, the linkage rod that runs down to the transmission, there's a sleeve/lock bolt that you can loosen and adjust where the linkage rod sits in the sleeve. *** If this adjustment was previously not altered I wouldn't start there as there is generally no need to tinker with it; it's possible you have something assembled incorrectly instead. I only bring it up in case you took it apart to that degree.

Richard

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So this is how it is right now. From what I understand, going from front of trans to rear should be: P R N OD D 2 1

However, the way this is set up. The column is in park but the trans appears to be in OD? The truck does start and move into reverse, although in the black empty space and OD is actually in neutral.

I've tried moving both the rod coming from the column and the one on the trans and I can't get them at the right geometry. Here's a pic I took last night. NOTICE how the trans appears to be in OD but the column is in park.

And the truck does shift through all fours gears!

You must be registered for see images attach