700r4 Rebuild Pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My transmission went out, doesn't go in reverse and will not drive more that 30 mph with rpm's all the way up. I went to a transmission shop (keep in mind I just had this installed a little less than 13 months ago) and this guy quoted me $2,800 to rebuild it with them pulling it off the truck. It's a 1992 c2500 2wd. Is that a fair price? I've never had a transmission rebuilt so I'm not sure what I'm looking at for pricing. I was thinking I'm better off getting a transmission from jegs or something online for that price.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In 2009 (Canadian pricing) rebuild plus core charge (I BLEW IT UP GOOD) was $2000-$3000.
I got a brand new one from GM (not a reman) for $3000 with a 3yr warranty.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you read that he paid that price in 2009 right?
Ya....I'm sure it's gone way up, IF you can even get one from them now.
Best bet is hit up a local treasure yard and pull one out. Up here prices are around $200 with core charge.
Really isn't hard to pull one. And if that blows, you would have gone through at least 10 used ones for the price of one rebuild.

Good Sport

Reaction score
Had my '92 C-1500 700R4 done last September, as the truck turned 30 years old (158+K miles). Was told by the shop they actually remanufacture the trans. Was given a quote just under $2000, and could use my factory original core/casing. They did a fantastic job, it runs and shifts great. In contrast, Maaco wanted well over $3000+.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my '92 C-1500 700R4 done last September, as the truck turned 30 years old (158+K miles). Was told by the shop they actually remanufacture the trans. Was given a quote just under $2000, and could use my factory original core/casing. They did a fantastic job, it runs and shifts great. In contrast, Maaco wanted well over $3000+.
Remanufacture as in all brand new internals? Sounds like a good deal if the warranty is solid.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was told by the shop they actually remanufacture the trans.

Remanufacture as in all brand new internals?
There is no legal distinction between "rebuilt" and "remanufactured". It's the same thing, dependent on the quality-control standards of whoever is performing the operation.

"Remanufactured" has more syllables than "rebuilt", and so it's being passed-off as if it's somehow better. When folks catch-onto the scam, they'll start telling folks that the part has been "Rejuvinated" and that that's the ultimate in quality, unlike junky "remanufactured" or "rebuilt" parts. And it STILL won't mean a thing. When folks catch on to THAT scam, they'll tell us that the parts are "Reincarnated".

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The low quality ones are Regurgitated. I'm pretty sure my Caddy's TH400 was only Reanimated with a new pump and not Regenerated as I'd paid for.