700 R4 intermittent leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lmo1131

Reaction score
'89 Silverado; c2500, TH700 R4 ( this is an assumption; the truck has overdrive ).
EDIT: original trans, 186,000 miles. Serviced when would not go into reverse (around 2009).

I'm not even sure how to present this problem, I'm not transmission-savey.

Occasionally, after sitting for a week or so, I will find a wet spot under the transmission pan (this morning it was about 6" in diameter). The joint between the pan and the transmission body was visibly wet, but there was not fluid (red tint) dripping off anything. The left side of the transmission housing appears wet.

If the truck is driven regularly there is no problem; I'm now retired so the truck doesn't get used as much (it was a daily driver before).

I've had the truck looked at before, but the wrench just told me, "it's an old truck, you should expect it to leak some."

I'm not buyin' this explanation.

Can anyone shed a little light on this problem? Where should I take it (not to the guy I took it to before (obviously))?

Thanks.

Last edited: