7.4 k2500 header and exhaust and fuel tank ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cbr1

Reaction score

Ive done the 16” wilwood brakes
The tci 4l80 and stall and the gear vendors overdrive on top of that.
22” wheels to fit the brakes
35” tires
Double batteries and relay to charge both but leave the backup secure from draining
Kill switch
Very clean low mile truck.....crew cab 97 k2500 shortbed

Now, i need to find some 2.125-2.25 primary headers for a big block with dart raised ports (slightly). 3.5” collectors. Quick search hedman, hooker, etc., no luck. Hoping someome might have some ideas.

The off the shelf headers ive found are small tube for a 3-400 hp type big block. Mine makes twice that. Need big ones. Hoping to find something but realize its probably custom header time. Still. Its a chevy. Somebody should sell big headers. Seriously.

Any ideas on a really quiet muffler in 3.5”? Maybe a difficult ask, its a lot of power but i want to keep it reasonably quiet, daily driver. And at 80-100 it is about 1500-1800 rpm, definitely dont want it droning.

Also want either a 35+ gallon fuel tank, stock location, or add a second tank in the spare tire well. Anybody got ideas on that? Will a suburban tank fot a crew cab short bed k2500? I know they had big tanks available but ive not looked to see how they mount.

I know these are hard asks. I know ive spent 5x what the truck is worth. But im old enough to do it and i hate new trucks. So any ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm subscribed, the only thing I can offer is that I picked up some 8.1l headers from Banks made for motor homes that have a really thick flange and good size tubes down to a 3" collector. I got them locally at an auction for much less than the $1,000 that banks wants for them new.
Now for the bad news, I haven't test fit them yet so they may be up for sale if I can't weasle them in...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ive done the 16” wilwood brakes
The tci 4l80 and stall and the gear vendors overdrive on top of that.
22” wheels to fit the brakes
35” tires
Double batteries and relay to charge both but leave the backup secure from draining
Kill switch
Very clean low mile truck.....crew cab 97 k2500 shortbed

Now, i need to find some 2.125-2.25 primary headers for a big block with dart raised ports (slightly). 3.5” collectors. Quick search hedman, hooker, etc., no luck. Hoping someome might have some ideas.

The off the shelf headers ive found are small tube for a 3-400 hp type big block. Mine makes twice that. Need big ones. Hoping to find something but realize its probably custom header time. Still. Its a chevy. Somebody should sell big headers. Seriously.

Any ideas on a really quiet muffler in 3.5”? Maybe a difficult ask, its a lot of power but i want to keep it reasonably quiet, daily driver. And at 80-100 it is about 1500-1800 rpm, definitely dont want it droning.

Also want either a 35+ gallon fuel tank, stock location, or add a second tank in the spare tire well. Anybody got ideas on that? Will a suburban tank fot a crew cab short bed k2500? I know they had big tanks available but ive not looked to see how they mount.

I know these are hard asks. I know ive spent 5x what the truck is worth. But im old enough to do it and i hate new trucks. So any ideas are welcome.
I would love to hear more about your truck as well, maybe a build thread?

PS, I've got a 1997 k2500 Suburban with the 454 so I could take some measurements of my tank if you know what dimensions you need. Just know it hurts the wallet to put in 40 gallons at a time!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Cbr1

Reaction score
Thx, I will do a build thread. It should be pretty cool, I’ve built a lot of cars and I’m dumb enough to spend stupid money on a gmt 400. I just like them and hate new trucks.

Gotta figure out how to host pics these days.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I spent stupid money on my GMT400's I know I'll never get back. Getting anything clean where I live is like gold. Then even after that, I couldn't even do an LS swap circa 2013 because people still think high mile long blocks are worth a ton minus accessories, computer, or even a harness. Plus strapped by the confines of emissions testing. :3811797817_8d685371

My excuse is the same. I like 'em. My insurance wouldn't pay out guaranteed, but it's still a fraction of what a new truck would cost.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My idea is twin aux tanks that live in front of the rear fenders in the bed and play nice with my slide in camper.

Cbr1

Reaction score
it's been a while, but i finally got this baby running. Still looking for some shorty headers, 2" at least as the motor is EFI and made 750 at the crank on 89 octane at under 6000 rpm. it just has manifolds for now and they are really killing it. Any ideas?