6L80E swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Has anyone ever looked into what would be needed to do a 6L80E swap? Would the work be worth it to have a reliable transmission and better fuel mileage?

I'm assuming a 411 PCM swap would be required and a standalone transmission controller. Custom transmission mounts maybe? I would assume transfer case adapter and custom drive shafts may be required. What about fly wheel adapters? Or are they the same.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've thought abt it but never looked into what it'd take, I'm saving this so if anyone's got any info if it can be done.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook, look up the group ls swapped 88-98 obs trucks/suvs. A lot of good information on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be an incredible swap to accomplish. I'd love to have two more gears for towing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have researched that and the 6L90 swap. You'd need to swap to the E38 PCM which runs off of a 52X reluctor, so easiest thing is to swap both engine and trans. Cam sensor is different too. By the time you get the conversion stuff from (I think) EFI Connection, you could have damn near just swapped in a complete GenIV powertrain. T-case spline count is different too, so it's a lot more comprehensive than just swapping the trans in. The TCM will not talk to the 411 and the 411 cannot control the 6L80.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I have researched that and the 6L90 swap. You'd need to swap to the E38 PCM which runs off of a 52X reluctor, so easiest thing is to swap both engine and trans. Cam sensor is different too. By the time you get the conversion stuff from (I think) EFI Connection, you could have damn near just swapped in a complete GenIV powertrain. T-case spline count is different too, so it's a lot more comprehensive than just swapping the trans in. The TCM will not talk to the 411 and the 411 cannot control the 6L80.

Well there's the answer we all didn't want to hear I guess. Makes it a way bigger project than necessary. NV4500 it is, I guess.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TCI makes a stand alone that'll go into the old diesels and carb gassers.expect about $7500.i believe it's the same case as the 4L80E at least their version is. I wanted it for my old 91 K2500 6.2L diesel but that was worth 5 times the truck lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There was another company doing a $2500 standalone for the 6L80/90 come to think of it, but at that point you may as well grab a newer engine with the swap.

cag13x

Reaction score
Tcm and wiring harness from a 1993 6.2 diesel is almost a stand alone system.i believe it just needs throttle position and tach input from engine.