6l 4l80 converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
04 lq9 going in a 95 k2500 with 4l80. The truck had a tbi 5.7. Primarily going to be a work driver and pull a car trailer on occasion. The 4l65 that was behind the 6l was really loose and the motor liked it. Is the stock 5.7 4l80 converter going to be to tight for the ls? I'm using a p59 computer and can tune the tcc lock up to suit the motor but wasn't sure if I was going to hate the tight converter. Truck will get about 70k miles a year running empty and maybe a few hundred pulling a trailer. Don't want to swap converters after I get it together. I know the ls likes rpm and a tight converter could be an issue trying to get a load moving but I'm sure I could live with it running empty. Should I get another converter or use the 5.7 converter?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
04 lq9 going in a 95 k2500 with 4l80. The truck had a tbi 5.7. Primarily going to be a work driver and pull a car trailer on occasion. The 4l65 that was behind the 6l was really loose and the motor liked it. Is the stock 5.7 4l80 converter going to be to tight for the ls? I'm using a p59 computer and can tune the tcc lock up to suit the motor but wasn't sure if I was going to hate the tight converter. Truck will get about 70k miles a year running empty and maybe a few hundred pulling a trailer. Don't want to swap converters after I get it together. I know the ls likes rpm and a tight converter could be an issue trying to get a load moving but I'm sure I could live with it running empty. Should I get another converter or use the 5.7 converter?
The converter in the 85E when I first swapped it in was for a V6 or SBC powered truck/van. B82 IIRC. Stalled like 2,400 rpm behind a nearly stock 350. I think that same converter stalls about ~2,000 behind a LQ4 or LY6.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The converter in the 85E when I first swapped it in was for a V6 or SBC powered truck/van. B82 IIRC. Stalled like 2,400 rpm behind a nearly stock 350. I think that same converter stalls about ~2,000 behind a LQ4 or LY6.
Thanks I think I can live with that. The converter in the 4l65 behind the 6.0 would flash about 3200 and drive like a cvt at light throttle. It was nice and that 6.0 would come alive if you jumped on it but I drive fast but easy and lots of miles and I made a lot of heat in trans that could have been moving me down the road. One less part to buy for the swap lol