6an lines/fittings for trans coolers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last year, I added a second aux trans cooler in-line with the stock radiator and aux cooler (4l60e). I just tapped into the lines that went into the radiator with rubber hose, a few barbs, and hose clamps. It was a quick thing, as I was taking the truck to the sand dunes that weekend.

Before I pull it out of winter storage, I'd like to get correct permanent lines and fittings. Besides cleaning it up and making it look better, I'd like to secure all of the connections and do away with the trans cooler lines that are known to leak.

The aftermarket aux cooler is an Imperial cooler, p/n 240514. I'd like to get threaded fittings for the trans and get rid of the "quick connect" fittings (or whatever they're called). It's been a while since I did this... so I'd also need all of the line and fittings to connect the new (preferably braided) lines from trans-stock aux cooler- aftermarket aux cooler-radiator-back to trans. I hate chasing parts and having to buy/return stuff due to not getting it right the first time.

According to the Q&A of the Imperial cooler, the thread pitch is 9/16”–18 S.A.E. flare. I just don't know what fittings to get for the trans, radiator, and stock aux cooler. Also, what hose should I get?

I realize I'm asking someone to basically do the hard part for me. That probably makes me a ****** person, but I figured someone here has done this before and can prevent me from losing my mind and wasting time returning wrong parts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was piecing together parts for my -6AN transmission cooler lines I was doing it for a 4L80E swap using the OEM radiator cooler and a Tru-Cool M7B which used 1/2" NPT fittings, so I'm really no help with the Imperial cooler you have or the factory AUX cooler. Or the fittings on the 4L60E for that matter. I'll try and list out everything I researched that will be useful to you.

The radiator trans cooler fittings are 5/8"-18 inverted flare, I used these Vibrant Performance 16436 5/8"-18 inverted flare to -6AN adapters.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-16436

As for hose I used Russell ProFlex. Probably a little bit overkill but it looks really nice and I haven't had any issues. I bought a 50' roll and ended up using a little over half of it I believe.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-630270

All my other adapters and hose ends were Russell as well. Everything went together nicely and the black finish on all the adapters and ends look really nice.

Russell 613165 90 degree swivel -6AN hose end: (I used a ton of these, five to be exact)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-613165

Russell 610025 straight -6AN hose end: (only used one)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-610025

Also I'm not sure if you meant to type this out the other way around, but in your post it looks like you're talking about running the trans fluid through the AUX coolers first and then the radiator cooler. You'd be much better off running through the radiator cooler first and then the AUX coolers, that way the fluid going back to the trans will be as cool as possible.

Hope some of that is helpful.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm definitely going to check that out. I have to get rid of the rubber hose with the clamps! Also... stupid question but... removing the old connectors out of the trans is just boggling my mind. I didn't pay very good attention to them when I had the trans out. I know they're the stupid plastic clips. Do those just thread out of the trans? Think it's easy to get to with the trans installed? I know I had a hell of a time getting the trans lines to actually lock into them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
removing the old connectors out of the trans is just boggling my mind. I didn't pay very good attention to them when I had the trans out. I know they're the stupid plastic clips. Do those just thread out of the trans?

Couldn't tell you personally as I never really paid attention to the 4L60E stuff when it came out. I don't think I've even looked at my old roasted 60E since I sat it out of the truck in storage. I know the 4L80E fittings just thread out. A quick Google search makes it look like the 4L60E ones do too. I'm finding multiple sources saying the 4L60E cooler line fitting threads are 1/4" NPS. So you'd be looking for something like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...K5ZQ3VHM3VWojF-fvG4OnJAzKryui9GoaApAfEALw_wcB

Once again you'll probably want to confirm this yourself, as this is all stuff I just found on Google in about two minutes.

Think it's easy to get to with the trans installed?

No idea, sorry. I paid someone to do the 4L80E swap for me and he installed the new AN adapters on my 80E before it went into my truck.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again!

I was reading on some other hot rod forums about this, and a few people mentioned a reputable Ebay store that carries a ton of AN lines and fittings. I messaged them and told them my goals and asked him if he could give me a list of part numbers so I could purchase them. Again, I definitely appreciate all of your input. I'm just trying to make this as painless and non-irritating as possible. I can't wait to not have leaky trans cooler lines! Haha I'll report back here with how it goes.

I also forgot that I have to notch out my center bar on my core support a little bit. The Imperial cooler that I put on is pretty snug in there. It should be fun. I'm most worried about being able to get to those damn fittings and removing them on the actual trans. I'm sure I'm overthinking and over-complicating this. I hope I am!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome!

When I was researching my 80E swap this was one of the things I spent quite a bit of time on. I looked through Russell's website since I wanted to use their hose and managed to find everything I needed except those 5/8"-18 to -6AN adapters from Vibrant Performance that I linked earlier. Russell makes one, but it's a natural finish and I was trying to use all black fittings and adapters if I could.

One thing I would suggest is spending some time looking at all the connection points and really thinking about how you want to route everything/how much room you have to work with. Especially since you say you're running multiple coolers and limited on space. That's part of the reason I ended up ordering mostly 90 degree hose ends. The straight ones are a lot cheaper, but the 90s look better and are a lot more convenient in some spots.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're welcome!

When I was researching my 80E swap this was one of the things I spent quite a bit of time on. I looked through Russell's website since I wanted to use their hose and managed to find everything I needed except those 5/8"-18 to -6AN adapters from Vibrant Performance that I linked earlier. Russell makes one, but it's a natural finish and I was trying to use all black fittings and adapters if I could.

One thing I would suggest is spending some time looking at all the connection points and really thinking about how you want to route everything/how much room you have to work with. Especially since you say you're running multiple coolers and limited on space. That's part of the reason I ended up ordering mostly 90 degree hose ends. The straight ones are a lot cheaper, but the 90s look better and are a lot more convenient in some spots.

I'll definitely scope it all out before I dive into this. Upon further research on other sites, I came across a guy who said rubber is not the preferred material to use for trans lines due to the pressure and heat cycles on top of rubber already having a life expectancy with oil. This has me wondering how true this is and if I really want to do this or not now.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read similar things. That's part of the reason I decided to go with the Russell ProFlex hose. It's certified for use with just about anything, including fuel.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, re-reading this, as I'm definitely going to do this as I had the hose on the radiator blow off this past weekend...

Do you know what fitting on the trans is the output/return line?

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just found it on google. Bottom port on trans is outlet, top is return. So, I'd want to go from bottom port on trans to radiator, to OE aux cooler, to aftermarket cooler, back to top port on trans. Does this sound right?