6 lug to 5 lug options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtBPowell

Reaction score
I have an 1997 Short bed standard cab 2wd. It is 5 lug 10 bolt open rear end. I found a 199? 10 bolt with a true track and 3.73 gear rear end from a half ton with 6 lug axles. I want to keep the five lug patern but really want the posi and 3.73. What would be the best way to go with this? Will the axles swap? Swap the carrier and gear? Get the 6 lug axle redrilled? Will the brake assemblies swap? Thanks. I will have to get some pictures of my truck project posted. I am going to do a lowering kit, add wheels and tires, infuse some horse power. and some handling. Thanks, Brian

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are both axles 2wd? I would think you could just take your axles into the donor axle. Then swap the entire donor axle into your 97 truck.

This way you'll avoid messing with the carrier preload, backlash, etc.

The other axle is still a GMT 400, right?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
If it is from a 4x4 it will be wider than the 2wd axle, and you can swap to 6 lug on the front to match the rear really easy using c2500 LD 6 lug rotors(everything else is the same).

SgtBPowell

Reaction score
Are both axles 2wd? I would think you could just take your axles into the donor axle. Then swap the entire donor axle into your 97 truck.

It is from a 96 2wd