6.5L TD Trans Swap 4L80E to 4L85E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ive searched the internet (with my limited internet ability and short tolerance for nonsense) and have not seen any definite information about swapping a 4L85E into the 99 dually behind the 6.5L, in place of the 4l80E. I am looking mainly for what exactly is needed for this swap, I am trying to be as minimally invasive as possible, and not trying to spend too much more than the cost of the 4L85E. Does anyone have experience, reference information, ancient scrolls, or prophecies related to this?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Aside from the 5 pinion planetary, there are very few differences between the 4L80E and the 4L85E. Why not upgrade your trans to 85E specs?

Reaction score
Aside from the 5 pinion planetary, there are very few differences between the 4L80E and the 4L85E. Why not upgrade your trans to 85E specs?
I am, but for another project, Duallys becoming the primary vehicle after getting the good old rust remover treatment, so I figure it gets the new parts.