6.5 Detroit to ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Rice

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking to buy a 6.5 truck, the motor has already been pulled and scrapped. I was curious of the difficulty and what all would be needed to do a ls swap either 5.3 or 6.0. The 6.5 does still have the tranny, it is a nv4500. If anyone could forward me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Greg

bsn1989

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Greg,

You would need to convert the fuel system(obviously), maybe fabricate or buy some conversion mounts(not sure if the 6.5 used the same SBC mounts).

You might need to get a different bellhousing and would definitely need a new clutch and some adapter voodoo to make them work together.

It would be quite a challenge but I'm sure someone has done it. You might need to do some more research on other sites to get a full idea of what needs to happen.

fivefeezy

Reaction score
Regular LS swap motor mounts will work. The wiring isn't much different, other than the tachometer. I'm still working on that one.