6.0 into 2000 k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Also I should mention..I’m a fan of the oem lenses and gaskets. The oem gaskets have a grommet that goes into that large hole and helps to seal it off well. A lot of aftermarket gaskets just sit flat on the sheet metal-not saying they would leak, but the oem ones are a better seal.

+1 on that, I had bought my new amber cab light lenses and they came with new gaskets; well after comparing the two I decided to just clean up the old OEM gaskets and reuse those. The new ones were pretty much just a sheet instead of having the grommet.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
The ones I bought are not OEM. They are the $25 eBay specials. They seem to be of good quality. They don't have the grommet on the bottom like y'all have mentioned. I was thinking I could use them and just drill a small hole where the wires come through. Run a small bead of "sealastic" around the perimeter. To prevent any chance of a leak. Does sound in line? Or OEM only?

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ones I bought are not OEM. They are the $25 eBay specials. They seem to be of good quality. They don't have the grommet on the bottom like y'all have mentioned. I was thinking I could use them and just drill a small hole where the wires come through. Run a small bead of "sealastic" around the perimeter. To prevent any chance of a leak. Does sound in line? Or OEM only?

A lot of guys have done that..but I’m a fan of oem harnesses and grommets. To each their own. You will have to use some kind of grommet to prevent wire chaffing, which may raise the flat gasket up a little. Please note that there is the roof sheet metal, and then another piece of sheet metal running underneath it. The oem wiring ran between the two.

Here is a pic of a harness I picked up today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
A lot of guys have done that..but I’m a fan of oem harnesses and grommets. To each their own. You will have to use some kind of grommet to prevent wire chaffing, which may raise the flat gasket up a little. Please note that there is the roof sheet metal, and then another piece of sheet metal running underneath it. The oem wiring ran between the two.

Here is a pic of a harness I picked up today.

For Sale?

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
She got detailed today! Inside and out! Got a buddy that owed me a favor, and he's really good at detailing. So we worked something out!
is that a airbag steering wheel?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah...that’s nerve wrecking for sure..i measures a boatload of times and use a step drill for the small holes, and a 1-1/4 hole saw for the big hole with a predrilled small hole to ensure it was centered. Here’s a pic of mine with primer on the roof.

It looks like the wires for the cab lights are already there?? Is that true for all years??? I'd love to add them to my '89 or any truck that doesn't have them. They look so cool in snow storms and such. Is there any additional wiring you have to add or components to swap? I imagine they put a significant load on the electrical system..

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the wires for the cab lights are already there?? Is that true for all years??? I'd love to add them to my '89 or any truck that doesn't have them. They look so cool in snow storms and such. Is there any additional wiring you have to add or components to swap? I imagine they put a significant load on the electrical system..

If your gmt400 vehicle doesn’t have them already, then the harness isn’t there.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh, your truck didn't though, right? Thought you said you drilled the holes for it... Why I attached the pic as I saw the harness beneath the holes.

In any case, would you happen to know all that's needed besides the harness? Is it a plug and play deal?

Thanks for answering :)

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, your truck didn't though, right? Thought you said you drilled the holes for it... Why I attached the pic as I saw the harness beneath the holes.

In any case, would you happen to know all that's needed besides the harness? Is it a plug and play deal?

Thanks for answering :)

My truck did not have cab lights originally.. I found an oem harness, bought the cab light gaskets and lenses, and drilled holes. For some years, the harness is a plug n plus deal into the under dash convenience center. Other years/ trim packages require you to cut the plug and hard wire it.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Any idea what years? How did you fish the harness through? I take it that it runs up & underneath the driver's side A-pillar?