5 x 4.75 Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of black '96 Corvette Grand Sport wheels sitting in my workshop, and they would look really sharp on my white '89 Stepside.

I do not want to use adapters, and I do not want to buy somebody's $500 kit. I want to use OEM parts swapping as much as possible.

For the fronts it looks like I can use '89 Camaro 1LE rotors. They're a one-piece hub and rotor, they use the same wheel bearings, and they're about the same size as the truck rotor. I don't know if the depth is the same.
Pickup rotor:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=391047&cc=1031140&jsn=2325&jsn=2325
Camaro rotor:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3868185&cc=1035717&jsn=2438

For the rears, I am willing to have the axles redrilled, but what drums would I use?
The truck has a 10" drum.
Camaros, G-bodies, and S10s have a 9.5" drum.
B-body Caprices and Impalas have either a 9.5 or 11" drum.

Will the 11" Caprice/Impala backing plates and brake assemblies bolt onto the truck axle?
EDIT: Doh! 11" drums are 5x5.

Anybody have an experience at this, or know of a thread that covers this?

Last edited:

VAMTuning

Reaction score
I'm curious to see where this goes. Have you looked at using a later LT1 camaro axle with disc brakes or more trouble than it's worth to remove all the brackets...maybe see if the inner axles are the same length?

I just bought a 1991 RCSB and the plan down the road is to put C4 IRS in it so I'll need to convert the front to 5x4.75.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i guess the early trucks can swap to the Camaro rotors, or if wanna swap to the 1" thick rotors for later models. I have C5 wheels on mine, but was cheaper and easier just to run adaptors/spacers.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided not to. I lined the Vette wheels up and they're tiny in the wheel wells. I found a set of 5-spoke Jeeps wheels an hour away and went to buy them and the seller flaked. Updating the wheels and tires is on the back burner right now. I'll focus on replacing the windshield first.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
I need to get my motor swap done then let my wallet recover for a while before I decide what I'm doing with wheels. I'd still like to go vette IRS and I have the 1" rotors so I might just swap to Camaro rotors so I can run the same front and rear wheels. Or if I do a 4/6 drop and notch the frame maybe I'll stay with the truck wheels...TBD.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't believe that any full size GM pickup or SUV ever had 5x4.75 bolt pattern hubs. Now the S10/S15 mini trucks had that pattern, until they went to 6 lugs. 5x4 3/4(4.75) is the smaller GM car pattern, that the midsize and smaller full size cars and wagons used. It gets confusing because in the 70s the bigger fullsize cars(Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile) used 5x5, but the smaller fullsize cars used 5x4.75. Difference between Caprice and Impala, Lesabre and Electra 225, Bonneville and Catalina, Delta 88 and 98 Regency. It was fun back in those days in the auto parts business.....
GM trucks were all 6 lug until 1971; when they first offered front disc brakes on the 2wd trucks. Those went to 5x5 pattern, and stayed that way for the square body trucks and the 400s too. GM went to 6 lug hubs on 2wd and 4wd trucks and SUVs for parts interchangeability.