5 speed or 4l60e bust!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here! Thanks for having me. My grandfather always drove 88-98 Chevy's and gmc's and I always wanted one so a few weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a 93 Sierra. It has a 4L60E and I was told OD slips and I know reverse slips pretty bad also. I'm left with a few options,

A. Rebuild it. I've done a few gm automatics already but mostly older th350 and 400's.

B. Replace it, rather expensive with my budget but possibly worth while to avoid a lengthy parts list trying to revive and reinforce it.

C. I found a '90 Sierra, same wheel base, same 5.7 engine, with a five speed standard. Guy wants $500. I guess it needs a clutch but!! It's the same wheel base and cab, that would be a complete swap kit so to speak. It does have 221k on it and I'm not sure what trans it actually is.

Any help or advice or tips or direction would be awesome! I drive a thirteen and ten speed all day so a manual is more my speed but I'd be happy with the slushbox too. Unfortunately I'm more accustomed to Ford diesels than anything so I'm just not sure what I'm dealing with as far as the said five speed or the 4L60E.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That should be a NV3500 in the 1990 truck.
you can get a Banner kit for the 4L60E from parts store and they arent terrible hard to rebuild but once you let the black magic and Voodoo out of a automatic transmission its hard to get it back in there.
I have a ATSG manual for the 4L60E somewhere if you want to look thru it before deciding to dive right in.

Reaction score
Understood on the magic smoke part, I found an nv4500 with the transfer and everything to do the swap for 300 bucks. Suppose I'll just go that route. I didn't really want it to be that easy anyways lol

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
That 90 has the 5lm60, Not the nv3500, I have a 90 and it has the 5lm60, not much difference, but the nv3500 is way better, but dimensionally, both transmissions are the same, so it will fit no matter which one you get

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Understood on the magic smoke part, I found an nv4500 with the transfer and everything to do the swap for 300 bucks. Suppose I'll just go that route. I didn't really want it to be that easy anyways lol
an NV4500 is even better than the NV3500 honestly, I’d go that route

Reaction score
So I got "everything" to swap in the nv4500. What I don't see is an engine separator plate for behind the flywheel or a dust shield for the bottom of the bell housing. The shield I can make as the bell is a full circumfrence style but it seems there should be a seperator plate behind the flywheel for sure and it seems one of my buddys' had a plate between the block and flywheel also. . I'd really hate to have the input depth too far into the crank and have to rewind the process. But I got the 4L60e out last night so any body got any ideas? I'm antsy to get this thing back together!!