5.7L Cold Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcedotal

Reaction score
Hmm...y'all sure do make it tuff to decide...I just bought a 1998 K1500 and so far all I have done is replaced a fuel pump and filter. I really want to make it a mild street machine so I thought cold air intake was #1 on the list...now I am second guessing...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really want to make it a mild street machine so I thought cold air intake was #1 on the list...now I am second guessing...

I'd say more like last on the list, and even then only if you've done other significant performance mods to require more air. FYI, Volant is the only manufacturer who makes a sealed intake system for these trucks. If you absolutely have to have an aftermarket intake, I'd get one of those. The stock Vortec intakes are better than any of the other options on the market IMO.

Quick tip for the stock Vortec intakes though... There are two different size filters that fit in the box. A standard, and a larger "high capacity" filter that the K47 optioned trucks got. Make sure yours has the larger size next time you change it. I use ACDelco part number A1301C in my '97s. Note that none of this applies to the diesel trucks, their K47 "high capacity" intake option is an entirely different deal with a different box.

If you want better performance, I would spend money on exhaust and a PCM tune first.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory Vortec air inlet chokes even a stock truck. A Volant is high on the list of things I would do first. MAP KPA reading does not lie. The stock air intake builds a noticeable vacuum even at the stock WOT shift point with a stock engine. The Volant intake tube is much more streamlined than the factory setup. Not to mention the factory seal is typically wasted on these trucks and unmetered and unfiltered air is being pulled past the orange sealing ring.

Intake, headers, exhaust and tune work extremely well together. Ditch the EGR diffuser plate on the throttle body as well. It was one of the first things that got trash canned off my Van and my Tahoe. GM used different sizes of diffuser lips as well on these trucks. The one on my 99 Tahoe was 2x as wide as the one on my 97 Express.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh man yeh, if you've got a flat tappet cam and aren't putting STP ZDDP additive in with your oil, you're going to wipe your lobes!!! (Oil companies hate that one little trick) /s