5.7 wants to stall when stoped when HVAC is on

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by SuperTramp, Aug 31, 2020.

1. SUBURBAN5

SUBURBAN5 I'm Awesome

Man I have this problem ever since I got the rebuilt motor. Dummy mechanic blamed the guage. I swapped 2 sending units and new after market guage. All the same readings. Morning and first start, Had good pressure. Running a while, it would drop to low pressure. Finally just unplugged the guage and driven it sense. My guess is the pump or bearings . But gonna waiting til it gets worse. Before I deal with it. Really want a 383stroker lol

2. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

Most likely bearings. But this started after a rebuild? Maybe clearance was too loose on the rebuild? Maybe they didn't check them?

You can try switching to heavier oil to gain a bit of pressure. I think I switched to like 20W-50 on my 4.3 and got me from like 5 psi to 8 psi. Checked with a mechanical guage.
    It's
    still running like that after 12 months. Getting finally ready to swap the engine.

SUBURBAN5 likes this.
  3. SUBURBAN5

SUBURBAN5 I'm Awesome

That's what I figured. I've been putting 10w40
    Scared to put thicker lol. But I agree. I need a mechanical guage for the real readings lol. Motor about 2 or 3 yrs old. Been running it like this for quit some time. Thanks for the suggestions

HotWheelsBurban likes this.