5.7 vortec vs 5.3l or 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90west

Reaction score
Horsepower/torque,lift/duration,tuning That’s all care about not opinions

90west

Reaction score
That’s an awesome van but that’s what I’m talkin about someone who’s actually done something what did you do for fueling I know that the stock system can’t handle too much

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my question is has anyone actually built an engine for the soul purpose of work truck stuff meaning low end torque and grunt and if so how did you do it meaning cam/head work,new efi setup etc.
When I did the engine in my 95 I did a lot of research on such an engine. I still use my truck for towing and hauling on a regular basis. Like you I did not want to spring for a new truck and obviously like my older trucks. I looked at everything from camming and tuning the TBI engine that came in my truck to a big block 8.1. I looked at stock power curves and read articles on cam and bolt on tests. Cost of course was a consideration

I settled on a 6.0 from another 3/4 ton truck. The truth is that I found the LQ4 in stock form provided the low end toque and reliability that I was looking for. Left it pretty much in stock form. If you are going to tow pay attention to torque. Many of these aftermarket cams do create more power but can sacrifice low end toque. Big block was out because I figured I would be relegated to consistent 10-11 mpg.

If you want data look at super chevy for their bolt on tests of aftermarket parts and cams. Your comment about this place being full of a "bunch of old farts who brag to each other about who’s truck is more original" is really unfair. If you spend some time there is a lot of information about what you are looking to do to your truck. I myself found a ton of information on my LS swap. The guys on this post were just trying to give you some perspective and options. Next time use the search option and do a little reading before you start dissing the people trying to help you.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you know honestly I was just asking for data but I realize that it seems as if the people on here are just a bunch of old farts who brag to each other about who’s truck is more original
As I said earlier if you want the LS swap ego stoke, won't get it from me. Even though I do have a LS 6.0L swap running. For towing I pick my 97 with the 383 or my 99 Tahoe with a cammed 8.1L.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s an awesome van but that’s what I’m talkin about someone who’s actually done something what did you do for fueling I know that the stock system can’t handle too much
Stock injectors fed the 383 to 450+ hp. To run on E85, I changed the pump to an AEM 340 lph and went with an AUS 48 lb/hr spider although I also have a marine intake. The marine intake is on the shelf. Wanted to see what the stock truck intake was capable of. The stock injectors fed the 383 to 5,000 rpm.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did the engine in my 95 I did a lot of research on such an engine. I still use my truck for towing and hauling on a regular basis. Like you I did not want to spring for a new truck and obviously like my older trucks. I looked at everything from camming and tuning the TBI engine that came in my truck to a big block 8.1. I looked at stock power curves and read articles on cam and bolt on tests. Cost of course was a consideration

I settled on a 6.0 from another 3/4 ton truck. The truth is that I found the LQ4 in stock form provided the low end toque and reliability that I was looking for. Left it pretty much in stock form. If you are going to tow pay attention to torque. Many of these aftermarket cams do create more power but can sacrifice low end toque. Big block was out because I figured I would be relegated to consistent 10-11 mpg.

If you want data look at super chevy for their bolt on tests of aftermarket parts and cams. Your comment about this place being full of a "bunch of old farts who brag to each other about who’s truck is more original" is really unfair. If you spend some time there is a lot of information about what you are looking to do to your truck. I myself found a ton of information on my LS swap. The guys on this post were just trying to give you some perspective and options. Next time use the search option and do a little reading before you start dissing the people trying to help you.
My cammed 8.1L has gotten 17 mpg on the highway in my Tahoe. It loafs along at 75 mph at 1,700 rpm and never leaves lean cruise. Tahoe has a 3.42 geared 9.5 14-bolt and P305/50R20s.

90west

Reaction score
My point about the old farts is the guys who consistently knock larger tires or built motors but
Stock injectors fed the 383 to 450+ hp. To run on E85, I changed the pump to an AEM 340 lph and went with an AUS 48 lb/hr spider although I also have a marine intake.
did you build it off the stock block

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd find a Dodge Viper and swap that motor in - Will be the perfect woods truck.
I really enjoyed the 94 2500 V10 RCLB 2wd my dad had. The PCM died when I worked at a Dodge dealership as a service advisor. Ended up getting a Mopar Performance ECM for less money by 1/3 than an OEM PCM. PCM and the required lower temperture thermostat alone added 30 hp and 50 tq to that V10.