5.7 vortec vs 5.3l or 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90west

Reaction score
So the truck came with the 9.5 rearend not sure on current ratio and it tows fine issue is I also own a 2020 Silverado sitting on 35’s both 1/2 ton trucks the new one will tow circles around the old. I understand the new one has an 8sp I get that, my question is has anyone actually built an engine for the soul purpose of work truck stuff meaning low end torque and grunt and if so how did you do it meaning cam/head work,new efi setup etc.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So the truck came with the 9.5 rearend not sure on current ratio and it tows fine issue is I also own a 2020 Silverado sitting on 35’s both 1/2 ton trucks the new one will tow circles around the old. I understand the new one has an 8sp I get that, my question is has anyone actually built an engine for the soul purpose of work truck stuff meaning low end torque and grunt and if so how did you do it meaning cam/head work,new efi setup etc.

I did, K1500 in sig. Would tow a couple side by sides on an open deck trailer 80mph locked in OD up a hill with the AC blasting.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, now you tell us that, LOL...

Those modern 5.3s have a lot of R&D, technology and put out about the same power as the LS Gen III. So for comparison, you'd need to start with a LS 6.0. Have you seen the Richard Holdener LS vs LT videos?

Heck, if you have a good budget, just go ahead and skip the Gen IIII...swap a darn 5.3/6.2 LT-series engine with the 6 speed or 8 speed. Do a DOD/AFM delete if you like. I'm starting to see those engines and prices don't seem too out of range compared the Gen III. By the time you do machine work, heads, cam, etc., you may be about same money in the hole.

Good luck.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My 5.3 Tahoe doesn’t tow better than my 5.7 K1500. I only towed with my Tahoe because I needed something more powerful than a 4.3 V6 that isn’t horrific on gas. I like LS swaps but for doing work, a standard 350 works just fine.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then. You asked a question that really doesn't have a right answer. If you want data, look at the HP/TQ specs of each motor you are considering. Every one of us has different needs and wants. They were only giving you the "data" they know via their experiences.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4l80e and gears low enough to make all 4 gears useful. Realistically - 5.13's.
Absolutely! Combined with a 383 that makes a good bit more HP and TQ than an LT8 gas 6.6L it gets up and goes. I did a full 1-ton swap as well. I am making about 520 tq at 3,500 and 510 hp at 5,700. Drives like stock until the gas pedal goes down. I have still pulled down 17-18 mpg running 75 on the highway with a 5.13 gear. Towing the TT in the picture I get about 12-13 mpg at 65.

You must be registered for see images attach