5.7 Vortec: Intermittant start failure.

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by TwistR, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TwistR

TwistR Newbie

I have a 96 K2500 5.7 Vortec that was running perfectly. However, for the past week, it starts up normally but when I try to start it when it's warm after it's been off for 5 mins, it won't fire, it just cranks. When I release the ignition it will fire and choke a little sometimes. I'm not touching the gas. I've found that to get it started, I have to press the gas to about 3/4 and then it will start to fire, sputter, then start. It will run rough, then hesitate if I hit the gas hard. After a while, no hesitation on the hitting the gas hard. It's back to running normally. It's almost like it's a flooded carb.

I replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago. The rest of the truck is original and it has about 160k miles on it. Does a fuel pump behave like this before it failsl sometimes? Injectors? I will be replacing the dist cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs in a month or so.

No codes. TIA.

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  2. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

Holding the gas down is “clear flood” mode as it temporarily stops injector flow.

If you have a scanner, see what the engine coolant temperature sensor is reporting. It should be ambient when cold, 190-ish when hot.

A fuel pressure test wouldn’t hurt. Could be a leaking injector.

3. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

Probably injectors and/or FPR leaking down after warm shutoff and flooding the engine. As @east302 pointed out, holding the gas down will clear the flood. Are they the original?

Pretty easy to diagnose FPR with a basic fuel pressure guage. Injectors need an injector balance test. Diagnose properly before changing it, and go with the MPFI upgrade unit.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. GoToGuy

GoToGuy OBS Enthusiast

Have you done the injector spider conversion?