5.7 Vortec Hesitation when warm

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by redneck_nick_z71, Feb 18, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. redneck_nick_z71

redneck_nick_z71 Newbie

hello everyone,
    This is my first thread so if it’s in the wrong place sorry. I got the intake gasket replaced about 2 weeks ago and when I got it back it was misfiring terribly. I took it back and they advanced the timing and said to drive it a while and if it was still off to take it back. While driving I notice something at stops signs when I go to take off it hesitates and then goes. When you go to rev it you can physically hear the motor stop running all the lights dim and then it revs up, and if you ease into it nothing is wrong. I would like to point out that it only happens when completely warmed up. The other day I was driving and I heard the motor stop 3 different times. No loss of power or anything. I just cleaned the MAF and I’m waiting for it to dry so hopefully that works. Any information on what this could be would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick

2. redneck_nick_z71

redneck_nick_z71 Newbie

Ps here she is. Doing as much as I can at 15 lol

0CD338D8-AE32-4683-A687-EDC5D8BFD507.jpeg

9E518AA7-A68F-4B2D-A3C7-C67EA5F79DC0.jpeg

HotWheelsBurban and 97 bowtie like this.
  3. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

Welcome, nice looking truck! Usually a Poster will include year, engine, trans, plus whatever other details may be germane. I'll take a stab at it, normally when you get hesitation when you stab it and not when you feed the pedal to it, your timing is probably retarded. Take it back until they make it right.

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  4. redneck_nick_z71

redneck_nick_z71 Newbie

Good point, it’s a 1998 z71 5.7 Vortec 4l60e and it’s on 33’s nothing done to the engine that shouldn’t make it act weird

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  5. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Sounds like they screwed up your CMPRET, do these "mechanics" not own a proper scan tool? You can't set timing on a Vortec like a TBI truck, the position of the distributor gets the cam position sensor set right and it's a very touchy thing to set up.

6. HotWheelsBurban

HotWheelsBurban I'm Awesome

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your truck, hope the shop makes it right.