5.3 swap into 88 scsb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I've come up on a 5.3, acc. drive, harness, ECM, sensors, cats, ect from a ~2004 silverado for next to nothing. Co-worker said it ran before wreck, messed up the frame but engine was unharmed. Plan was to go into my 88 K1500. The issue- I'm in California.
I've studied some CA swaps and the REF engine change rules.
My question at this point is how has anyone here integrated the 88 EVAP and transmission (700r4-I can't take the 4l60e, it's taken) so that the "ECM monitoring strategies" remain effective for the donor engine?

tlenzi

Reaction score
You're going to run into a bigger problem. You cannot modify the ECM in any way which means you cannot remove VATS. I went down this road and up until recently it didn't seem to be an issue. Now the smog ref will require you get the factory calibration CVN information from a dealership and once you modify the tune in any way with HP Tuners or EFI Live, it changes the CVN. This was the deal breaker for me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Oakhurst in Mariposa County? I thought they didn't require smog testing there? When we lived in Merced County, I hated that crap!

Reaction score
Isn't Oakhurst in Mariposa County? I thought they didn't require smog testing there? When we lived in Merced County, I hated that crap!

Nope, unfortunately its in Madera county and they require smogs. I used to live in Mariposa, would be great to not have to deal with all that mess every two years again!

So regarding the tune for the VATS, theres no way to delete/ work around that section of the system? I have a coworker thats done a swap, says hes got software to do it. I thought it was only the factory engine tune, didnt think they would care about the anti-theft. What if you were to leave the VATS (only come REF time anyway) and just trick it into reading ok? For example, I had a XJ and went doorless. Whenever the battery would disconnect, I had to keep a door lock handy and cycle the key to disarm the system and drive again.
I remember seeing Merrick in his K5 go through the process, never mentioned the VATS only that the engine tune needed to be stock, but this was some time ago.

tlenzi

Reaction score
I wrote Merrick when going down this same road and didn’t get a clear response. I assumed he was being vague on purpose and perhaps opted to just find another smog solution but I don’t know.

As for VATS, the engine won’t run if left enabled. Once you use software to turn it off the CVN changes and it no longer matches the factory CVN which the ref now verifies.