5.3 swap/4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I snagged a complete 2001 5.3L last weekend for 600 bucks. My plans are to tear it down and build it back up to where I can beat the piss out of it- I'm not trying to go 9's in a suburban, so no hair dryers and no revving to 9k- just a motor that can take me hooning on it and no screaming for mercy like the toilet bowl injected 350 does.

My 4L60E has been rebuilt, but it is original to the truck. I've read that 95 4L60's are a standalone year and can present some problems when swapping things around. I haven't really seen much 95-specific info when it comes to "LS" swaps. Will this trans play nice with the 5.3 ecm? Any rewiring or repinning? Anything I can do to the trans to handle the extra power the 5.3 kicks out?

abrasumente

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll ask a better question, then- I may have a line on a known good 4l80e from an 01 2500. It's a 4wd trans, but I will be keeping my floor shifted transfer case (np241, right?). So swapping the wiring I understand, but from what I've read on other threads I need to change the transfer case input shaft, and I will need a longer front driveshaft/shorter rear driveshaft? What about the current yoke on my rear driveshaft, will it work?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
from what I've read on other threads I need to change the transfer case input shaft, and I will need a longer front driveshaft/shorter rear driveshaft?

Yup.

What about the current yoke on my rear driveshaft, will it work?

Probably not, depends a lot on your specific 4L80E. The one I got from the junkyard uses a bolt-on yoke instead of a slip yoke like the factory 4L60E used.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your using your original transfer case I don't see why you would have to change the yoke for the rear drive shaft. Nothing with the yoke is being changed. Your just having the shaft shortened.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Good point. I always forget about the transfer case, my swap was a 2WD.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ Good point. I always forget about the transfer case, my swap was a 2WD.
I was thinking your line of thought was that way. Not going to lie I had to stop and think about my response for a minute after I posted to make sure I wasn't pulling something out of thin air.