5.3 pros and cons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a 4.3 in your 98 . You will need 5.0/ 5.7 clam shells with the dirty dingo motor mounts . You can also repin your harness to run the 5.3 . and the 01 5.3 should be dbc . Dbw didnt start til 03 . Plus with you having a whole donor . you can do the Brake master cylinder mod . and buy spacers , so you can do rear disk brakes form the 01 also

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with Stratton on the harness.

Off top of my head, you will have to do the “0411 swap” plus have to add 2 more injector wires (and need 8 plugs for the individual injectors) add coil wires for individual coils, and add another Knock sensor, and 1 or two more other wires. Plus some re-routing to clean and tidy up wiring.

Raulfelix24

Reaction score
Just like previous two post stated the 01 is drive by cable. If it were me I would just use the transmission that is with the 5.3. I would keep the other transmission as a backup. If I’m not mistaken your transmission will work but you need a spacer or a different flywheel if memory serves me correct. When I did my swap I married both harnesses using the YouTube video from Brendan at LT1SWAP.COM. You will need mounts for a V8 and some setback mouton plates I personally used dirty dingo that are adjustable. You will also need to plumb your fuel system, I used a corvette filter with all AN lined and fittings. Honestly it is pretty simple swap. I completed mine over a year ago and have really enjoyed the truck.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think you need a different flywheel to mate a 5.3 to the 4L60e. It bolts just fine, minus that one missing bolt on the bellhousing, but that's okay. Torque converter is 3 bolts. But yeah, pulling an engine and tranny is a good idea.

The different flywheel and spacer is only for an LS-based engine mated to the 4L80e. Torque converter is 6 bolts and different spacing, and the bolts themselves are longer for this. Exception is that oddball 6.0 (99-00) that came with a long crank, so no spacer on that one.

As far as wiring, I would recommend to just get a 5.3 with complete wiring harness and ECU. Then all you have to do is delete the VATS.

bcjjones

Reaction score
Off topic a little bit but what drop and size tire are you running? Any more pictures? Rally wheels?

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Off topic a little bit but what drop and size tire are you running? Any more pictures? Rally wheels?
Yes rally wheels 15x8 all around. Rear tires are 275 60 15 and fronts are 235 70 15. A 7 inch wheel would be better in the front but a little lip roll on the front fender solved the problem. Belltech flip kit for 6 inches in the back and DJM 2 inch drop spindles in front with cut factory spring in front at 2 inches, cut 1 coil in my case. Belltech street performer shocks all around with shock relocator on the bottoms. Hope this helps.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes rally wheels 15x8 all around. Rear tires are 275 60 15 and fronts are 235 70 15. A 7 inch wheel would be better in the front but a little lip roll on the front fender solved the problem. Belltech flip kit for 6 inches in the back and DJM 2 inch drop spindles in front with cut factory spring in front at 2 inches, cut 1 coil in my case. Belltech street performer shocks all around with shock relocator on the bottoms. Hope this helps.
You must be registered for see images attach

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score