5.3 no spark passenger bank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna throw this here since I really don't feel like making an account on another forum. This is on my 08 with a 5.3.

I've got no spark on the passenger side bank, 12v is being supplied to the coils (checked at the individual connectors). Only code thrown was a P0300. Was being driven when the passenger side bank went down (merging on highway downhill).

I understand the coils are triggered by a PCM ground signal, is there a reliable way to check/measure this? Would anyone happen to know which pins correspond between the coils and the PCM connector? I guess I could check continuity.

I'm relatively unfamiliar with the LS motors compared the Vortecs (like my 97).

Mods feel free to move this if need be.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A missfire, start with plugs, plug wires , missing broken vaccum line. All one side? Sounds a little fishy. The one thing unique to left or right is O2 or mixture sensors. Have done anything underhood lately? Brocken wires, Check all connectors to injectors, coils, back to pcm. All one side.....

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A missfire, start with plugs, plug wires , missing broken vaccum line. All one side? Sounds a little fishy. The one thing unique to left or right is O2 or mixture sensors. Have done anything underhood lately? Brocken wires, Check all connectors to injectors, coils, back to pcm. All one side.....

Havent touched it. Checked with a spark tester, driver side, all good. Passenger side, all 4 dead.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can unplug the coil and use a noid light and verify if the signal is coming from the pcm. And those pcms have almost 0% failure rate. So I'm leaning towards wiring issue or maybe even a bad coil pulling the line down

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did figure it out actually. On my year atleast (2008, I assume others as well), the ground for the coils run down together to a stud behind the power steering pump. They join together right there with the ring terminal being completely exposed to the elements. Corrosion got me in this case. Snipped the old terminal off, stripped the wires back and put a new one on. Started right up.

Only thing I can really add, that harness is a serious pain to get pulled out to provide enough room to work. I ended up having to unhook the knock sensor and pull the harness out past the front cross member. That have me about 4-5 inches of harness to work with. Knock sensor is near impossible to get to as well.

And unfortunately, when the passenger bank decided to die, I was slowing down for an on ramp (highways merge). It dumped the raw gas straight into the nice hot cat converter, igniting, and blowing the internal material apart.