5.0tbi to 5.7vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athomason

Reaction score
i have been given a 5.7 out off a 99 4x4 suburban that i would like to put into my 92 c1500 that currently has a 5.0 in it. i know it isnt gonna be a plug and play swap, but what is involved in the swap??

Last edited:

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vortec heads on that donor block are going to be a thorn for that swap. About your only option is putting a carbed intake and carb on it in your truck.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well if he didn't want to go full Vortec, couldn't he just put an intake on that accepts a quadrajunk and then use the TBI adaptor the early 454 TBI trucks had? Would have to fab brackets and such to make that work but it sounds feasible from my chair...

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if he didn't want to go full Vortec, couldn't he just put an intake on that accepts a quadrajunk and then use the TBI adaptor the early 454 TBI trucks had? Would have to fab brackets and such to make that work but it sounds feasible from my chair...

They make better adapters than the one you are talking about. He could use one of those. They have brackets designed to work with the throttle cable and Vortec intakes as well. It wouldn't be too hard to do ...

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vortec heads on that donor block are going to be a thorn for that swap. About your only option is putting a carbed intake and carb on it in your truck.

Why do you say it would be a thorn?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Parts list:

- Vortec heads
- Fancy valve covers
- New intake gaskets
- Carb'd Vortec Intake Manifold
- Carb to TBI adapter plate
- 96-99 C/K Fuel Pump
- Might as well get you a fancy cam/lifter kit and a new timing chain set while you have it broke down as well (I hear the K1103 from Summit works great for Vortec heads).
- Custom chip for PCM

That's about all you'll need. It's essentially the same as going from a 5.7 TBI to Vortec. Different block, same results. If you were trying to make the '99 (4L60E I assume) transmission work with the '92 harness, that's an entirely different beast.

F Costello

Reaction score
Edelbrock makes a direct swap intake
And use the 99 exhaust manifolds or
Late headers with egr hook up

Reaction score
Need some important information, are you swapping the entire vortec setup (intake, heads and all) in? Or are you looking to swap in a vortec longblock with a tbi induction setup?