5.0 Vortec starts fine cold but cranks for a few seconds when it’s been ran for a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nauju

Reaction score
1998 gmc sierra 1500 5.0 vortec, starts fine when cold but it has to crank for a few seconds once it’s warmed up before it’ll start. I have already replaced the fuel pump for other issues not related to this and it did it before replacing the pump anyways.any thoughts?

nauju

Reaction score
Heat soak issues with the injector/poppet assy, fuel pressure regulator, or ICM?

Any codes?
Any erroneous data on your scan tool: ECT specifically?
I have an egr code because the pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake broke so it's blocked off at the moment could that be the issue?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be, in a round about way. Closed loop operation with a code on will be running in limp mode.
It would start easy when ECT and IAT are equal. Hot restart will change initial timing advance if ECT is high.

Try clearing the light and see if it restarts easier. And fix the EGR, you're losing MPG.