4x4 Tahoe with Adjustable Ride height?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I know it's not the typical topic in this section. But I thought I'd ask in case someone has done it. I've done some searching and I've found some threads on lowering 4x4's. But that is more permanent and I'm looking for some adjustability.

What I'm thinking about: I have a '98 Tahoe 4x4 that I use for running around town and towing a small camper. So, for the running around town and highway I want to be have around a 2" drop. But sometimes my camping takes me into fields or down some not so great dirt roads so for those I'd like to be able to push it back up to stock or +1" maybe. I know for the rear this is easy enough to do with a 2" drop and adding some air bags. Which is what I did on my C1500 for when I get mulch or dirt etc. But with the torsion bars in the front is there anyway to get some adjustability on the fly?

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While torsion bars are incredibly adjustable, theres no electronical device that will thread up or down the adjuster bolts.
Perhaps, with a bunch of measuring, you could install a set of hi-jacker air shocks, rig up a set of height sensors, an air compressor, and some kind of programming that start and stop at your prescribed height.
Problem with that is the shock mounts aren't meant for carrying the weight of the truck...

incipfer

Reaction score
I know it's not the typical topic in this section. But I thought I'd ask in case someone has done it. I've done some searching and I've found some threads on lowering 4x4's. But that is more permanent and I'm looking for some adjustability.

What I'm thinking about: I have a '98 Tahoe 4x4 that I use for running around town and towing a small camper. So, for the running around town and highway I want to be have around a 2" drop. But sometimes my camping takes me into fields or down some not so great dirt roads so for those I'd like to be able to push it back up to stock or +1" maybe. I know for the rear this is easy enough to do with a 2" drop and adding some air bags. Which is what I did on my C1500 for when I get mulch or dirt etc. But with the torsion bars in the front is there anyway to get some adjustability on the fly?

Thanks for any suggestions or input.
I know this is a really old post but the technology is still the same if someone else wanted to know. Torsion bars are easily adjustable with the adjustment bolts offering usually a full 2" or more of adjustment on your ride height. The weight of the vehicle can't be resting on the suspension when these are adjusted though so you have to lift the vehicle and support the axle so it wont pull the torsion bar the opposite way while you adjust them. On the fly ride height adjustment is possible but not in the torsion bar, you must modify the front shock absorber to allow for an air shock or an air strut to be installed. A MacPherson Strut setup with an inflatable air bag used to be sold. For the rear your best setup is usually to try to adjust the position of the spring on the frame. Like a product to replace your spring shackles, or go with air shocks there too which start the lift height from where your springs ride height are set currently.

In summary install adjustable air shocks for lifting and leave your springs and bars for static height.