4x4 Posi-Lok Cable Activated Front Differential Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for extra strength out of my front end as well as getting a kick into doing so by having the thermo module stop working I picked up the 4x4 Posi-Lok kit from Summit. I noticed there was no writeup or real discussion about it here so I tried it and am glad I did.

You must be registered for see images

Its just simple, it works perfect and the parts are all high quality but for the most part basic hardware.

The instructions call for installing it on the right side above the throttle but I didn't like how close it was to my foot and the pedal. I ended up taking the bracket for the pre 96 trucks and using it on the left side. I had to do some very basic grinding on it to fit as well as bend the OBDII bracket. I also did not use the grommet they included as it was huge, opting for a smaller one I had already. The cable is very long your options will be plentiful if you need something other than this.

The red button is a lock, you need to firmly engage it to move the cable, keeping it engaged 100% with no possibility of electrical malfunction or incomplete engagement/disengagement.

This is assembled and disengaged. I installed the lock screw with red loctite because that is technically the weak link here. If you were smashing around very hard offroading in fields this might be a bit open and I'd suggest an extra skid plate for it.

When the front axle is disengaged, you can engage 4lo and effectively get 2lo but I question the durability under heavy load. There are good uses for low low range two wheel drive though.

This is a photo of the system fully engaged. When pulling the cable, you might need to move the vehicle or try neutral etc to fully engage - you will clearly feel it when it is all the way.
Installing the bolts on the axle tube bracket are a bit of a pain, you have to reach into the axle mounting bracket. I flipped them upside down to ease reinstall.

Overall the kit is affordable and durable, works on all 88-98s, and you could service almost all of it except for the cable (which is available as a single unit) at your local hw store. It sure is nice to feel the insane acceleration of my truck in 4x4 in first and second.

For more info see their site: http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why do they call it a posi lock if it is not actually "locking" the axles like a locker does in a solid axle?

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's it look like inside when engaged vs. disengaged? How far does the knob stick out?