4x4 Manual floor stick to push button?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
For your shifter to not grind from going n-4lo you need to push in the ebrake til the light comes on in the cluster. then itll slide in just fine.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
They get more and more scarce as the years go on. I've honestly only ever seen one fully loaded GMT400 98 with a manual transfer case, and that's mine.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Everything up to 95 was floor shift. In 96+ both were offered.

From what I can tell 96+, Base models, trucks with the F44 package, 6.5L 1/2tons, and most 3/4ton trucks had floor shifters. Obviously there are exceptions to all of these as we know.

And all manual transmission trucks where floor shift 4wd. K3500 trucks had a Borg Warner t-case so they would all be floor shift.

Blue_Z71

Reaction score
I lovvvvvved my floor mounted shifter. Only when it was below 32 degrees would it give me trouble, but I replaced some gizmo and it worked like a charm once more. Don't get me started on the GMT800 t-cases......

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I've seen two 3/4 tons with power t-cases but that's it. Both were fully loaded 1996 Silverados ECLBs, one was a 6.5 the other a 5.7. Everything else I've seen is floor shift.

But to the main point, don't switch to an inferior system. Whilst you may have the means to fix whatever breaks, the time it breaks is going to be when you need it, out in the middle of nowhere, stuck in a 2-wheel-drive 4x4 (if you get what I'm saying). To each their own, of course, I should probably just keep my mouth shut as I'm not answering how to do the job. Good luck.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
My '97 sierra is the fully loaded edition (slt) and it had floor shifter. When I had my '03 silverado it had push button and it was nice and I will say that I have never had a problem with the push button. I do have to say that I like the floor shift better and it feels more secure, but I do have one question. When I switch into 4hi/lo I can never get my display to register that im in 4 wheel drive, so I was wondering does that mean its not fully engaging (when its in 4Lo you can definitely tell once you put it into gear, but still no indicator).

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Does it blink then go back to 2hi?

-Via Mobile-

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I will trade you man! Im right here in Cruces and I have always wanted the floor shifter!

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I have the push-button- no complaints. We had a floor shifter in our '94 Burb 4x4, so I've seen both worlds... and I've never seen anything go wrong with either one :shrug:

I like the full console I have though because there is no floor shifter... but floor shifters DO look pretty cool on the floor there :rofl:

Moore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one know how common/uncommon it is to have a floor shifter on 96+ tahoe lt's? With leather and all that, I'm asking because I've never seen one besides mine