4x4 fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Dabbs

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 1995 k2500 with a 4x4 manual floor shifter.

When I go to put it into 4x4 and shift into drive the 4x4 fuse keeps blowing..

I unplugged the harness from acuator and it didn't blow the fuse, so I removed the acuator and left it plugged into the trucks harness and left the acuator on the ground and shifted into 4x4 and it extended without blowing the fuse.

I also tried a acuator out of a k1500 heavy half and it does the same thing.

I also used a screw driver and manually shifted the front differential in to 4x4 without any issues when the truck was lifted off the ground and the acuator removed

I'm confused, is it a electrical short and only blows the fuse when the acuator pulls a current ??

Last edited:

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the 4WD indicator light circuit. Between the switch right next to the actuator on the front differential and the light. Could be bad switch or pinched wire running back to light.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seems the load of the actuator doing its job pushes it over the edge. Have you inspected the wiring to see if it's pinched or chafing anywhere?

Robert Dabbs

Reaction score
Fix it. It was the 4x4 light that was shorting to ground from a ****** ass connection previous owner wired up under the truck at the acuator harness

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fix it. It was the 4x4 light that was shorting to ground from a ****** ass connection previous owner wired up under the truck at the acuator harness

Glad you figured it out. Electrical problems can be a real pain, especially when someone else has already worked on it.