4x4 FUSE blowing '94 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireball 440

Reaction score
Hello My '94 Silverado ext cab short box 4x4 is blowing fuses for the 4wd. I can put a jumper in where the fuse goes and the front axle will lock in to get me out of a jam, but the jumper gets red hot and must be removed right away. Its a 25A fuse, I tryed a 30 and it popped right away too. Wondering if there is a common fix on these chevys? Never had a problem till just recently, truck has 192,000 miles, 350, auto.

snow storm coming and need 4wd. keep the sled in the back just in case.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I think maybe its a short circuit. check and see if any wires are exposed and touching each other or the frame. Just a guess I really dont know much about electrics.

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
man i hate when fuses start blowing
yes you have a short some where. the only advice i can give to you is the best way to find a short is to wire a headlight or brake light and socket into the 4x4 fuse holder. just slip the wires into the holder where the blade of the fuse would go.
the light will light up because there is a short
now you need to start tracking down the harness for the actuator on the front axle tube
try disconnecting the actuator first and see is the light goes out, if it does then you have an internally shorted actuator, if it stays lit up then start back tracking then harness from there untill you find the short

i wish i could tell you exactly what to look for but i can't especially after the short i had to track down on my dads rollback 3 weeks ago
make sure you use the light in place of the fuse that way you are not throwing money away in fuses

one more piece of advice is to never use a larger fuse than what is there, that is what causes electrical fires (like you seen with the small jjumper you put in it)

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man i hate when fuses start blowing
yes you have a short some where. the only advice i can give to you is the best way to find a short is to wire a headlight or brake light and socket into the 4x4 fuse holder. just slip the wires into the holder where the blade of the fuse would go.
the light will light up because there is a short
now you need to start tracking down the harness for the actuator on the front axle tube
try disconnecting the actuator first and see is the light goes out, if it does then you have an internally shorted actuator, if it stays lit up then start back tracking then harness from there untill you find the short

i wish i could tell you exactly what to look for but i can't especially after the short i had to track down on my dads rollback 3 weeks ago
make sure you use the light in place of the fuse that way you are not throwing money away in fuses

one more piece of advice is to never use a larger fuse than what is there, that is what causes electrical fires (like you seen with the small jjumper you put in it)

Cool Trick!! I will have to remember that one.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Also look at the wires where they come down over the top of the front differential. Mine came loose from the mounting clips [ok, maybe I didn't lock them back in when I pulled the axle] and rubbed through against the steering center link. Just a quick thought

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Could also be a seized actuator. That's what i suspect my problem is with my K3500. I tried changing fuses and they pop the moment i touch the shifter to pull it into 4wd.

fireball 440

Reaction score
I replaced the actuator and it still has the same problem, the fuse blows with in a second of putting it in 4wd. The wires down at the axle all look ok. I unplugged the connector at the xfer case and it does nothing at all. Ideas?

454silverado

Reaction score
hi, I have a 93 k3500 and it does something similar.... I can put it in 4wd, but when I move forward and get on it, the fuse blows, but as long as I am easy on it it does not blow. I have replaced the actuator as well and it did not help. did you ever figure out why yours was doing that? any info would help. thanks!