4WD Roar....Growl...Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have an ‘89 K1500, 350 700R4 3.73 front and rear. As it was happen, there was slippery stuff this weekend. I put in 4wheel high, with some effort...had to go 4wheel low first-to test in case stuff got dicey. There was a noticeable roar, growl, other synonyms-the front drivetrain. As of now, my procedure is as follows: put on jack stands, 4wheel high, try to identify “roar”.
Expertise please. Is this the best diagnostic procedure? Check hub bearings and CVs first? Then work to transfer case and front diff? I apologize, I’m a planner, I like a map before I begin. Any experience with these sounds and diagnostics would be greatly appreciated....oh and per my pet peeve....I will finish the thread one way or another for posterity’s sake. Learned too much from this place not too. Thank you in advance

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would check the fluid level in both the transfercase and front axle before going too far.

Also, you shouldn't need 4-lo for winter driving. You need traction not torque for the snow.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
So, just to clarify, it sounds normal in 4wd High but growls in low?

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it roars in 4 wheel high. I had to first put it in low to get it in high. It wouldn’t shift straight to high for whatever reason. I shifted to neutral on the column, then low4wd, then high 4wd and it engaged. The roar kinda reminds me of driving with the parking brake on....... it wasn’t no brake bindage I promise.

As always thanks for the support!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Mine has made sounds before after shifting into 4-hi, and usually wiggling the shifter a bit and/or going back into 2-hi and then 4-hi straightens it out.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll change the fluid in both the diff and transfer and see what I get...thanks for your help

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’ll change the fluid in both the diff and transfer and see what I get...thanks for your help

I'd be more concerned with the level, unless maybe you think it needs to be changed any way.

I have no idea what was available for transfercases in 89... this is a manual floorshift case, and not one of the push button cases, right?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
If it's like my '89 it runs Dexron III or something like that. It's definitely ATF.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I think a 241 transfer. Honestly, I don’t know when it was last changed, 2-3 quarts right. Floor shift is correct. So dexron III, or should I go with Synchromesh or something else or Dex III

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Dexron III, I like to run what was spec'd by the factory and haven't had any problems with that mantra.