4wd problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryenol

Reaction score
Didn’t see any breaks or exposed spots of wiring, put it all back in and even changed the transfer case switch on top. Still NOTHING!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
And if you jump those wires and it doesn’t move then what? I’m lost

You can check that there is power at the t case switch connector and then check the wires for continuity from the t case connector to the front axle actuator.

Ryenol

Reaction score
Well.... fell pretty ignorant about now.. after pulling harness from transmission area up into engine compartment and checked all the wires for pinches, breaks etc and then re looking it I checked the plug at front actuator again last night. What the heck!! Suddenly power(head scratching) so I took each wire out of the plug and double checked the crimping and such and out back and it WORKS!!..

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there an updated front actuator releaed that worked faster. Normal delay can be as long as 30 seconds before engagement.
Being thermal activated GM realized that when their actuators got wet or heavy snow they would cool and release. Basically leaving you without 4wd when needed most.

Posi-lok thebnest upgrade out there. Heck even gives you ability to have 2wd low....

Ryenol

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there an updated front actuator releaed that worked faster. Normal delay can be as long as 30 seconds before engagement.
Being thermal activated GM realized that when their actuators got wet or heavy snow they would cool and release. Basically leaving you without 4wd when needed most.

Posi-lok thebnest upgrade out there. Heck even gives you ability to have 2wd low....
Mine has the electric actuator, I am not sure what year they upgraded though maybe 96,97

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 4x4 fuse was pulled out and front drive shaft, put fuse in and low speeds felt like it was trying to lock in, so then I replaced the switch in the dash still nothing, so I replaced the T case shift motor and nothing, so i replaced the actuator on front housing still not working, fuses all go once had a 2 wd light on the switch, it's hard to some of the testing by myself, anyone with helpful comments you can leave info on my thread if you want,