4wd Hub Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that’s the truth then! I guess RockAuto doesn’t know what they have. My NOS Timken came with studs installed.
If the studs were installed, either you have six-lug hubs, or you have 8-lug hubs but you aren't buying for a GMT400.

GMT400 8-lug hubs CANNOT have the lug studs installed, because they press through the brake rotor into the hub. No rotor...no studs.

Pleased to see the Timken hub photos. Amazon says that part number is made in China. I hope I'm done with changing hubs for awhile--four on the Trailblazer, (long story...) two on the K2500 (but only one was actually replaced with new--the other was re-used.)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well that’s the truth then! I guess RockAuto doesn’t know what they have. My NOS Timken came with studs installed.

You have a 6 lug truck and the rotor goes on the front side of the hub. 8 lug trucks have the rotor on the back side and held on with the studs.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it now, but even you posted this:
When I've looked them up on Rockauto they always say they don't.
I re-checked RA listing. It kinda says both. Maybe where it says quantity-8.
You must be registered for see images attach

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the 8 lug hub set off 1aauto.com. Ive had good luck with them in the past to handle returns if it ends up being crap parts.

I would much prefer Timkens but its more then double the budget

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing this on my K2500 Suburban and wondering what y'all used to grease the wheel seal (CV shaft to the back of the hub seal)? I'm thinking the same Lucas Red-n-Tacky I'm doing the rest of the joints with. Definitely using the same grease on all the joints as Schurkey has posted about but haven't seen anything about what goes on this seal.

Thanks

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing this on my K2500 Suburban and wondering what y'all used to grease the wheel seal (CV shaft to the back of the hub seal)? I'm thinking the same Lucas Red-n-Tacky I'm doing the rest of the joints with. Definitely using the same grease on all the joints as Schurkey has posted about but haven't seen anything about what goes on this seal.

Thanks
I know Timken wheel hub assemblies use a red grease. I’d probably use that, then someone would tell me I f’d up.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Used the same wheel bearing grease on the seal, splines and the face of the CV Axle where it interfaces with the hub. I think I can hear some rubbing or similar at and near full lock, I'll take a look to see if there are any witness marks.

Last edited:

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been working on my K1500 at my brothers house to hang around w him...

That's my baby brother battling cancer.
I've had done one side.....

Mevotech hubs and tie rods and moog loaded arms.

Last edited: