4WD Actuator Redneck Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpaynejr86

Reaction score
$50 is mighty steep for some wire and connectors. Does anyone know the wiring schematics for the dorman 600-600? I already have all the connectors and plenty of wire.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
That's a temporary fix because it's going to drop your fuel economy, increase wear and noise.

The front differential has known leakage problems, and not a huge grease reservoir. If you aren't paying attention to the lube level, and it gets low, having the axle permanently jammed into 4WD engagement will cause damage in short order.

The better fix is to either use a fully-functional thermal actuator (they can go bad slowly, where they take longer and longer to engage. A new one is faster) or to convert to the new motorized (not thermal) actuator.

The new-style actuator requires an updated wire harness. Used to be available from GM; now you gotta get it from Dorman. The wire harness allows you to install a GM/Dorman/Other brand of replacement motorized actuator. Those guys engage almost instantly.

The new-style actuator in a housing intended for a thermal actuator needs a spacer similar to your socket. It's included in the wire harness update kit. The new style actuator in a new-style housing doesn't need the spacer.

In general, I avoid Dorman products when I have a choice--they're almost all Chinese. But the harness may be made in USA; and at any rate, I don't know of any other source besides Dorman and the folks reboxing the Dorman item. Other actuators are available, though. Choose wisely.

Dorman 600-600 harness:
www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6Q7Q2/?coliid=I3PBSUZLPVAG5&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dorman motorized actuator
www.amazon.com/dp/B000IZ490Y/?coliid=I2IO8OFN43UH7X&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I did this upgrade years ago and it still works fine to this day,highly recommended.I've heard that if that old actuator gets cold when engaged(maybe in snow or cold water?)it will disengage....:dunno: