4L80E won't shift out of 1st

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert mechanic, and I've never experienced this kind of gauge problem first hand (so far...), so take any advice that follows with your desired quantity of appropriately-sized grains of salt.

From what I've read, it tends to be caused by bad grounds, somewhere near the gauge cluster or ECM, but potentially anywhere (grounds on the GMT400s – and, I suppose, any 20+ year old car or truck, especially in the "rust belt" states or other wet climates – seem to be prone to going bad or getting intermittent due to rust and/or corrosion), and the gauges (oil pressure, temp, fuel), as I understand, rely on a proper reference to ground to measure the sender's signal against, measuring the difference between them (I think?), and for some, if the signal goes beyond tolerance – say, due to a weak or broken ground somewhere – they will peg to either the left or right (depending on how they're configured; I think the fuel gauge is configured to read the difference and will peg to "F" if it reads an open circuit. Not sure about the oil and temp) like you describe because they're reading infinite resistance (basically, open circuit). Sometimes, the opposite can happen as well (a short can cause zero resistance, causing the gauge to peg to the left or right, again depending on how they're configured). Again, this is based on various threads I've read describing similar problems, and again, I'm not an expert mechanic, so I could be completely wrong.

That said, if you check the wiring between the sending units and the ECM or gauge cluster, it certainly can't hurt anything to also try checking and cleaning every ground you can find (I think I read that there's one in the engine compartment that can sometimes rot away completely and cause all kinds of problems; I suggest searching the forum about it for more information). Maybe that will fix your oil and temp gauges, or maybe it won't, but at the absolute minimum, your electrical system should perform better overall, because there will be less resistance at the ground points, so current can flow more efficiently (better grounds, logically, should help improve things such as headlight brightness, HVAC fan output, and windshield wiper performance).

c

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. No codes to be had though. No comms with the ECM either with a scan tool or paper clip. I thought of TPS also. That could effect the idle issue and the trans needs to know throttle position. I tried one (although I admit it was a cheap aftermarket one), no change.

Short story behind this truck. Maybe you guys will see a clue that I'm missing...

I bought it to replace my Dodge that literally rusted in two. Thought it smart to buy a truck that I could pay for rather than getting a loan. I went with this one because I had a 92 Suburban in the past that never gave me a second's trouble. I drove this truck for a month while I was getting it ready for inspection and it ran flawless. I had a guy (whom I trust 100%) replace all the fuel lines for me. This started while he had it. Biggest bummer of this all is I spent all my savings on it. Now I have no savings and still no truck.

One thought though. I did have it at a body shop before him, to have a spot on the frame welded. However, it drove fine from the body shop to his shop.
Yes I'm in a similar situation! Early '97 crew cab long bed C3500, 5.7 Vortec and 4L80E.
What it's been doing, is every couple of days, leaving from a stop, it's slow going into First, and it kinda makes a hissing sound. The truck won't move forward, but putting 4 to 6 ounces of fluid in it, and allowing it to circulate, will get it to behave normally. Goes through the gears, throttle response is good (but it always is!) so on and so on.... until it does it again. Had the fluid and filter changed, by a shop and mechanic I trust, on Saturday, and after spending $235 on the job, truck shifts smoother, goes better, seems like it's good. Then today it's back to the same old shenanigans. I had to Uber home from work, and not get my second store done, because I had to put transmission fluid in it, to get it to move from in front of the RV park office, where it was stuck and Mom couldn't get it to move. When it does this, it's like the truck puts its brakes on and it will barely move. Then,once the fluid gets circulated, it works fine!
I've always heard how great 80's are, and this one is giving me fits....and 60's are supposed to be so bad, and knock on wood, the one in the Burb has no problems ( other than the linkage coming loose).
So what gives? Any ideas? I like this truck, it only has 124,000 miles on it, but I can't deal with this......

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I'm in a similar situation! Early '97 crew cab long bed C3500, 5.7 Vortec and 4L80E.
What it's been doing, is every couple of days, leaving from a stop, it's slow going into First, and it kinda makes a hissing sound. The truck won't move forward, but putting 4 to 6 ounces of fluid in it, and allowing it to circulate, will get it to behave normally. Goes through the gears, throttle response is good (but it always is!) so on and so on.... until it does it again. Had the fluid and filter changed, by a shop and mechanic I trust, on Saturday, and after spending $235 on the job, truck shifts smoother, goes better, seems like it's good. Then today it's back to the same old shenanigans. I had to Uber home from work, and not get my second store done, because I had to put transmission fluid in it, to get it to move from in front of the RV park office, where it was stuck and Mom couldn't get it to move. When it does this, it's like the truck puts its brakes on and it will barely move. Then,once the fluid gets circulated, it works fine!
I've always heard how great 80's are, and this one is giving me fits....and 60's are supposed to be so bad, and knock on wood, the one in the Burb has no problems ( other than the linkage coming loose).
So what gives? Any ideas? I like this truck, it only has 124,000 miles on it, but I can't deal with this......
My 2000 K3500 has a delayed gear engagement when cold. And it stalls the engine in Reverse and Drive if I don't give it gas. It feels like a manual transmission. After a bit of driving the problem goes away. I did a thread a while back. I hardly drive that truck, so I haven't messed with it.

Here's what I think is the issue on mine. Post #2 is someone from Sonnax discussing the problem, and gives a part number. The Sonnax part says it affect '99+ models, so this may not be the issue for you.

The other trucks I have with the 4L80e (04, 06 and a unit swapped into my 99 (also from an 06) don't do this, so it does seem possible it's a calibration issue on my K3500. I may decide to change that Sonnax valve, if I drop the oil pan for a fluid change.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I need to find a reputable transmission shop.....
Maybe reach out to this guy; he's in Houston somewhere. I've watched some of his videos and he's definitely knowledgeable. His videos are WAY more detailed and technical than Precision Transmission videos (all those guys do is teardowns and same units over and over)! The videos are so detailed that I watch them when I get insomnia! :rolleyes:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Maybe reach out to this guy; he's in Houston somewhere. I've watched some of his videos and he's definitely knowledgeable. His videos are WAY more detailed and technical than Precision Transmission videos (all those guys do is teardowns and same units over and over)! The videos are so detailed that I watch them when I get insomnia! :rolleyes:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I finally got his email and wrote him; after watching a couple of his videos, I trust him way more than the garage I've been using!