4L80E wiring questions 1997 K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help on the wiring of a 1997 K3500 4L80E transmission. There is what looks like a range switch on the driver's side of the trans, it's on the control shaft going into the trans. I assume this controls the neutral safety and the reverse lights. Can somebody tell me which wires control these functions? I've been surfing the web and looking in my shop manuals, but I haven't found what I need yet. I'm swapping in a ZF 650 m/t and need to tap into this harness to make these functions work.
Thanks for the help!
Toomy

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found what I need!
Purple- high current to starter solenoid
Yellow- high current from ignition switch (start position)
Pink- IGN3 +12 VDC (hot in run or start)
Light green- +12 to BTSI solenoid (through brake switch, normally closed) in park
Second light green (terminal F)- backup lights
Small yellow- connection to liftgate motor, ground side (only on suv's)
Black- ground
Transmission Range Switch Signal A (blk/wht) = Pin 9
Transmission Range Switch Signal C (grey) = Pin 10
Transmission Range Switch Signal B (yellow) = Pin 11
Transmission Range Switch Signal P (white) = Pin 12
just noticed yesterday that on a 98 the purple wire is much smaller and the yellow wire changes to a small purple wire with a white stripe. some time between 96 and 98 they replaced the high current wires with a starter solenoid that does not draw high currents.